cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrisTC
Advocate

Re: New Apple TV version 4 support

I agree with everyone! One of my primary reasons for buying the Apple TV was that it had NowTV + plex + air play. I hoped all other iOS apps would transition quickly like they did for iPad. 

I have freinds that work for Plex and they are some of the best developers I know and it took them 5 weeks to make a polished good quality app: https://blog.plex.tv/2015/11/02/plex-on-the-new-apple-tv/ 

But they say there is an easy transition for old Apple TV apps. Given the marketing the Now TV app really should have been available on launch day, even if it was a quick port of the old app.

This post has been archived

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

0 Thanks
moroboshi
Expert

@KrisTC wrote:

I agree with everyone! One of my primary reasons for buying the Apple TV was that it had NowTV + plex + air play. I hoped all other iOS apps would transition quickly like they did for iPad. 

I have freinds that work for Plex and they are some of the best developers I know and it took them 5 weeks to make a polished good quality app: https://blog.plex.tv/2015/11/02/plex-on-the-new-apple-tv/ 

But they say there is an easy transition for old Apple TV apps. Given the marketing the Now TV app really should have been available on launch day, even if it was a quick port of the old app.

That's a very interesting post from Plex as it explains why some apps, evidently written in TVML look so incredibly basic, with no user interface design, or design flair at all. Plex have managed to take the ease of TVML but pair it with proper iOS code to create something beautiful. Others, such as YouTube and Crunchyroll have not, and as a result have apps which look like they've just fallen off a 1980s micro computer. 

Which route will Now TV have taken? The easy but ugly route? Or the pretty but hard route... 

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

0 Thanks
floatleft
Mentor

It's available now!

I've just installed it on my Apple TV.  😉

0 Thanks
xinam
Scholar

Better late than never I suppose. But the app looks.... identical to the previous version. You'd hope this is only a temporary version, and not the one we've all been waiting for! Because if it is, well it's like they didn't even try.

0 Thanks
moroboshi
Expert

Wow, just wow. I haven't seen it yet, but if it has the same bare bones UI of white text on an empty black background, someone needs to explain why.

This isn't acceptable.

0 Thanks
xinam
Scholar

@morobishi I think you know we ain't getting no explanation!

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

Hmmm I'm at work now but isn't there even a MyTV section in it, that is most annoying about old Apple TV that I had to search and work out which episode I was on. I usually resorted to a £10 NowTV box which is still connected due to these app delays.

If this is a basic app lets hope a proper app is coming as the interface on Roku/NowTV boxes is very good and really improved since it launched.

0 Thanks
Brandscill
Scholar 3

All we can hope is they intended to release a new version, realised they just weren't going to be ready and after the backlash against Now TV and Apple for saying they were a launch partner they stuck the old app on there from the ATV3 (which should have been done on day 1!)

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wow...you guys...just wow.

Quit complaining and enjoy the app. You were moaning nothing was there, now you're moaning because is there.

So the UI is similar to the previous version. The functionality is there and Sky will more than likely update the UI in the future. Just be happy you've got the app!

Jeeze.

xinam
Scholar

I'm sure we're all pleased that there's finally some sort of Now TV presence on the new Apple TV. But it should have been there at the start as advertised, and if it's only a basic rehashed version of the previous app, what's with the delay!

0 Thanks