cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patmcl
Mentor

Being overcharged

Looks like I've been caught out by the out of contract  email and being overcharged for my broadband. I received an out of contract email last month that quite clearly states the following:

Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £23.50 a month.

Or

Pick from one of the packages available to you below.

Naturally I choose to do nothing and today my bill has gone up to £46.50. I've gathered this is been happening a lot with others, what can I do to get Now to put my charges back down to £23.50 as well as refunding the difference they've already taken?

19 REPLIES 19
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@patmcl 

This seems to have caught a few people out. See this thread.
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-and-Billing-Broadband/Price-not-as-stated/td-p/619602

Best to call the broadband team as staff just don’t come on to deal with any queries in relation to broadband. Make sure to be signed in for the call centre info.
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/renewing-my-contract

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
patmcl
Mentor

So I called the broadband team this morning and the advisor was adamant that regardless of what the email said above the fact that there was a small section below stating that my first discount would expire 02/03/2024 was their get out, even as it contradicts the main bit in the "Keep what you have" section where it states (in bold) "From 01/03/2024 you will pay £23.50 a month", clearly I can't ever pay £23.50 a month if any discounts are going to be removed a day later. Totally misleading and probably legally suspect, the advisor even admitted as such stating that they know they have an issue with this, yet they won't do anything about it, such as extending the offers until it's resolved. I've raised a complaint and will be seeking a deadlock if they don't resolve it forthwith so I can take this up with CISAS, as well as OFCOM and possibly Trading Standards if I can.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@patmcl 

I have asked another poster similarly: what resolution do you expect? As it stands you can either renew your contract on the terms currently available, or leave at any time. 

patmcl
Mentor

@redchiz1 

I want what was promised, to continue with a rolling, no contract, service for £23.50. I don't want a new 12 month contract or to move as this doesn't suit me at this time.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@patmcl 

I don't believe any interpretation of that email, flawed though it may be, can be made in the way you suggest. Do keep us posted though, many are interested in this issue. 

patmcl
Mentor

@redchiz1 

I believe "From 01/03/2024 you will pay £23.50 a month" can only be interpreted in one way.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@patmcl 

Well yes, right up until the point the discount expired on 02/03/24 when the monthly rate clearly changed. At the end of the day, all we can express here are matters of opinion, best of luck in getting the resolution you seek. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 @patmcl 

Well, I flat disagree with you there.

If you take the first option, then nothing in the OR should apply, no matter what it says.

And most especially if it contradicts the first option.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

But it is not necessarily contradictory.