cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AK14
Advocate

Throttling

So for a while now I suspect I am being throttled by Now TV Broadband.  After an 18 month contract, they wished me to take up a new contract much more expensive.  However I held my ground and it has rolled over and I am paying less, however it seems like it comes at a cost.  I have had several connection issues and slow speed.  On my first try with an 'Adviser' I was told change my channel numbers and that would resolve matters after 10 days approx.  In my next try, they told me my connection was tested and was working fine, I need a new router.  Now I have my new router I still have speed issues.  If I test with Ookla I get around 39/42Mbps, switch to a VPN and I get 62/63Mbps. So no doubt my IP Address is being used to slow me down.  Anyone else out there have similar problems with rolling over on a contract and not taking out a new one.  What action is available to me to get this sorted, Leave?

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AK14 

Is this always with Wi-Fi or Ethernet? As the router for Wi-Fi with NOW is known to be very poor.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AK14
Advocate
Yes, is via the Ethernet cable. The Wi-if is indeed poor as well. Sometimes I’ve seen both outputs stalling, then they come back on a few minutes after. I wouldn’t be as concerned if it was during peak times, you might expect that, but at 10.30 in the morning.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AK14 

As @Jayach says it could be a general fault on the network that is causing it. All I can suggest is persevere with support and ask for full line investigation.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AK14
Advocate
Thanks for that. They did say it would take around a day for the technical people to have a look at it. They did and then told me the line was okay. I will get back to them and ask for further investigations along the line you suggest, to see if I can get a better assessment of the issue.
Jayach
Elite 3

If you were being throttled, the VPN would be affected as well.

If speeds are faster over a VPN, it sounds like routing problems in the Sky/Now network, with any luck they will only be temporary.