cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeanutDealer
Advocate

Third party router

Hello,  I recently bought a TP Link AX5400 router, as I found the router that was provided (Now hub2) to be slow and cause issues.  I was hoping to use this new router with my now broadband internet but I have had a look around on forums and follow the set up instructions that have came with the router, which both haven't worked.  I am unsure of how to set up the router so that it works,  I am currently trying PPOE but can't find the right credentials to use and when trying no username or password it won't connect to the internet.  I am currently trying to use wireshark as some people have suggested but I have never used this tool before so I am unsure of what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

20 REPLIES 20
RoyB
Legend

@Jasonmarc21 

Looks promising…..

https://www.draytek.com/products/vigor2860/#:~:text=Vigor2860%20Series%20is%20a%20firewall,for%20loa....

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/sky-fibre-setup-guide

Expand the Show All on Products, and the 2860 is listed there. The guide is a bit out of date - it’s not that complicated now - but the user comments there cover this.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

Yes it should be possible to use that as "modem only". The Draytek's are very popular for that function.

I've not actually done this myself (I'm not on Now) but this should work:

See here for how to configure it for Sky/Now Sky Fibre Broadband & Now TV Setup Guide (draytek.co.uk), and then it should be possible to switch it to  modem only or bridge mode  and connect the TP-LInk to it.

It might also be possible to simply configure it as modem only and let the TP-link do the authentication if it has Sky MER as an option.

Lets see if @chilli2 concurs.

Taz500
Advocate

Hi, I have the double Nat problem. I don't want to piggy back off the now tv router anymore, what modem router would replace it? Model name if possible. 

Thank you 

RoyB
Legend

@Taz500 

The most straightforward replacement is the Sky SR203, entirely compatible with the Now router, but rather superior.

You will probably have to source it secondhand off eBay, but none the worse for that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

Just to add, the router you have bought should be a good one. Getting a new  DSL modem/router may not be such a good idea. Have you any idea when you will get FTTP there?

I would serious consider using it in access point mode, to make use of it's vastly superior Wi-Fi capabilities, until such time as you get FTTP. Archer AX73 V1 User Guide | TP-Link

PeanutDealer
Advocate

No idea when fibre will be coming into the estate unfortunately, just so I can understand if FTTP gets put into the area will this change the way broadband is delivered into the house? Then would I be able to use whichever third party router I would like?

Thanks for all the help.

Jayach
Elite 3

Once an area has pretty full FTTP coverage, then shortly after the copper side will become "stop-sell" This means no new FTTC customers will be taken on,  although existing customers can renew.

You may be able to find out when you can expect FTTP to be available here: Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband build plan | Openreach

Once on FTTP, the broadband is presented as Ethernet, so using you own choice of router becomes much easier. Different ISP's will possibly have some restrictions of their own.

chilli2
Elite 2

FTTP will change the way you get broadband( internet services) and in a few years phone services.

However copper based services, as you have now will continue to work  and be available for a good while yet

Essentially when/if it arrives it will just be another option available to you.

My local area has FTTP available, however Now broadband is more than suitable for my needs and to go full fibre/FTTP would cost more, and invovle having a new wall box fitted ( known as an ONT ) which in turn needs a power source and in turn all that involves an engineer to visit and install .

So for now, i will stay with now until a time comes when / if the price goes up, and fttp becomes the chepaer option, or to the point when they switch off the copper network.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Taz500 

You don't say what router you are "double natting" to the Now hub, but the queries as to how long before you can get FTTP are relevant to you also. If it's not too long, using your current router in access point mode may be good enough till then.

If you do want to make the most of whatever router you have, then a Draytek would work for you also, however, even second hand they seem overpriced to me.

An inexpensive TP-Link with modem only mode would probably be the most economical way to go about it. It will need to be set to use Sky(MER)_VDSL authentication.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Support-UK-TD-W9970/dp/B013OXVA6M/

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

Do let us know how you get on.

Unbelievably my broadband (not Now) went down whilst typing this reply, I had to finish using my phone as a hot spot. Looks like an early night for me.

Beefcurry
Advocate

Hi All, I'm about to change my router to a Draytek 2865, but cannot find the authentication details to put in - any ideas?