cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeanutDealer
Advocate

Third party router

Hello,  I recently bought a TP Link AX5400 router, as I found the router that was provided (Now hub2) to be slow and cause issues.  I was hoping to use this new router with my now broadband internet but I have had a look around on forums and follow the set up instructions that have came with the router, which both haven't worked.  I am unsure of how to set up the router so that it works,  I am currently trying PPOE but can't find the right credentials to use and when trying no username or password it won't connect to the internet.  I am currently trying to use wireshark as some people have suggested but I have never used this tool before so I am unsure of what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

20 REPLIES 20
Jayach
Elite 3

I don't believe that router is suitable for DSL connections, as it doesn't have a modem.

If it's not this one Archer AX73 | AX5400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router | TP-Link United Kingdom, let us know what you have.

You could use it in AP(access point) mode, (assuming it has one) other than that it's not really suitable for Now.

PeanutDealer
Advocate

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I have the router that you linked and plugged into straight into the broadband line https://freeimage.host/i/HOV7pN2

Im not sure what you mean by access point to be honest but I would like to have 1 router connected to the broadband line with whatever else hanging out the back of that 1 router.

RoyB
Legend

@PeanutDealer 

See if you can send or take it back where you got it from, and tell them you need a modem/router suitable for use with a Sky/Now DSL connection. Which requires the MER 61 protocol.

If you told them you wanted it for Now when you bought it, then they have to change it; if you bought it on the web, you have up to 14 days to return it in, no quibble; otherwise you will need to ask nicely,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

That is not a broadband line, as the router would need. That is a DSL socket, and your router needs an Ethernet connection. (as supplied on FTTP connections, not FTTC as you have)

RoyB
Legend

@PeanutDealer @Jayach 

While technically correct, this reply wrong-footed me, as it can be taken to mean the exact opposite of what it should.

The situation here is that your socket is (potentially) correct for Now, the wire plugged into it is (potentially) correct for Now, but the router is wrong for Now, and describing the sort of connection the router would need to work doesn’t get us a whole lot further forward, as that sort of connection won’t work for Now.

Like Jayach, I am slightly bemused at where you might have plugged the other end of that cable in, on the AX5400, as none of the sockets on it is right for an RJ11 connection.

Now Broadband is a bit stone-age for the router you have bought; you need to get a modem/router that is a bit less futuristic 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

On the image you posted above HOV7pN2That is a filtered mastersocket, into which you have plugged in a RJ11 cable into the DSL port.

Where have you plugged the other end of that cable?

The router in the link https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax73/

Has the following ports on the back:

•  One Blue Wan (RJ45) Port
  • Four Yellow Lan Ports labelled Lan 1 to 4
  • Power input

Now Broadband uses what is called DSL technology to provide internet to your property, which is carried over the copper phone system, this uses a high frequency signal which is added to the phone line , there are two types of this:

ADSL which stands for A-symmetric Digital Subscriber Line is where the internet signal is added to the copper phone line at the local telephone exchange, now sell this as Fab fibre and it typically has download speeds of around 12mbps ( although can be anywhere from 0.25 to 18) and typically 5mbps up as the download is faster than upload its not symmetric hence A- Symmetric , this operates at a higher frequency than voice traffic so it can transit more data

VDSL : Very High Bitrate - A symmetric Digital Subscriber Line similar to plain old ADSL where the internet signal is added to the phone line, but this happens at a street cabinet closer to your home so the frequency can be higher and in turn more data can be transmitted, this is known as Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) and confusingly sold as fibre

With all that out of the way...

As mentioned what is called a router is actually an all in one box in the case of Now and other FTTC containing:

A Wifi Access point (AP) this provides the wifi signal

A router - this routes the internet/data traffic over the network between the yellow ethernet ports and the wif access point

a modem this modulates and de modulates (hence the parts Mod for modulate and Dem for de modulate) the internet signal as used by Now ( and others) into something that your devices ( and the wifi access point) can understand

A firewall, this can stop some nastys from the internet getting into your netowrk

A network switch , this switches data between the ports and the wifi access point.

What you have is a device that lacks a modem , and can not be used with Now or any other DSL service on its own , it will need a modem connected to it.

The Now router while in theory should be up to this should work by connecting a yellow port on the now router to the blue WAn port on the tp link device, however you will end up with two devices, and as the now router is rubbish and doesn't support modem only mode  you will have another little nasty called double NAT

What you need is a DSL modem/router.

hope that explains it a little, but as it is that TP link device will not work on its own

PeanutDealer
Advocate

Appreciate the information good to learn about this.

the cable in the picture is what came when getting the internet line established and plugs into the now router, this cable can also fit into the RJ45 blue WAN slot on the TP link router.  

just a follow up question a RJ45 cable also plugs into the DSL port on the master socket.  Can this be used to plug it into a third party router and provide internet?

Jayach
Elite 3

@PeanutDealer wrote:

just a follow up question a RJ45 cable also plugs into the DSL port on the master socket.  Can this be used to plug it into a third party router and provide internet?

Yes it will connect to another router, but it will connect to a DSL socket on the router, The WAN connection on your router is an RJ45 Ethernet socket. Although an RJ11 plug will fit it's not what it needs.

Jasonmarc21

Hi Chilli

This was very helpful to me someone who knows little to nothing about this. Do you know if it would be possible to buy a DSL modem to connect to the master socket to replace the NOWTV Hub and then connect that to the TPLINK archer ax4500? We have some kind of old modem/router here, i'm not sure if it could be of any use, its a draytek vigor 2860..

Thank you for your help