cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Slow download speed but normal upload speed with ethernet

Hi guys,

The speed of my broadband was down to 14 Mbps (which used to be around 64), and the connection of the internet kept dropping off. So I called Now and they arranged an engineer to check my line. Until today the download speed has dropped to around 4.5 Mbps.

The engineer showed up today and It turned out there was actually an issue with the line and it was fixed. However, the download speed doesn't change, still 4.5 Mbps, even with direct cable connection with the router. The upload speed is around 18 Mbps which is normal. When I play online games, the pin is around 20 ms, which is also good.

So I called the help line again, and I was told the speed looked normal to them (64 Mbps). I also did the 'Technical checks' online and it also showed 'your broadband/download speed looks good (68.5 Mbps)'. I was told to try the following: Splitting the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ; Changing the WiFi channels; Switching on energy efficient ethernet. 

Nothing worked.

I assume it is the problem of the router itself but I was told to monitor the speed for another week after changing the WiFi channels...The only good news is that it doesn't seem to drop off again.

I was wondering if anything else I could do to fix this. Is it normal to take this long for the speed to 'recover' after the line is fixed? Should I ask for a replacement of the router directly if it is still not working? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayach
Elite 3

Well if it is the router, it is a very strange fault. But replacement of the router is the next logical step. Convincing Now may not be easy, and there is no point waiting the week as splitting the Wi-Fi channels will have no effect on download speeds over Ethernet.

Also any "recovery time" would be on sync speeds not download speeds.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jayach
Elite 3

https://help.nowtv.com/article/broadband-speeds-explained

How are you checking your download speed over Ethernet?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry I didn't describe in the right way; this is all new to me. I mean connecting my laptop to the router with a cable didn't improve the download speed.

The sync speed is also normal: 68455 kbps

Jayach
Elite 3

With a sync speed of 68Mbs you should expect a download of about 62Mbs.

Have you checked your download speed with any other device, such as a mobile phone whilst close to the router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I have used my phone to check and it was also around 4.8 Mbps.

I have also tried to reset/restart the router and the speed was the same.

Jayach
Elite 3

Well if it is the router, it is a very strange fault. But replacement of the router is the next logical step. Convincing Now may not be easy, and there is no point waiting the week as splitting the Wi-Fi channels will have no effect on download speeds over Ethernet.

Also any "recovery time" would be on sync speeds not download speeds.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the reply. The speed is now back to normal somehow. Magic.

Jayach
Elite 3

How unexpected. I can't imagine what was causing it.