cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Old landline number not ported over

I've had my original home phone number for over 55 years.  NOW took over on the 21st Dec 2018.  When I filled in the application to go to NOW I ticked to say I wanted to keep my original number.  I did not get an email to give me a new number prior to the go live date.  I have discovered that NOW have issued a new number.  Spoke to NOW customer service, they say that I did not request to port my number over, and that nothing can be done to get my old number back.  I know that I ticked the 'keep my number' box.  Spoke to previous supplier (Utility Warehouse) and even though my account is still valid until 6th January 2019 my original phone number has gone, they did not get a request from NOW to have my original number off them.  I have spoke to a BT engineer and was informed that by law the original number has to stay unused/not allocated to anyone else for 18 months.  I have raised a complaint with NOW and waiting for them to contact me.  After speaking to NOW customer services yesterday, they then sent me an email with my new phone number on it, (I had not previously been sent this email).  I will be contacting BT again to see if I transfer to them whether they can get my number allocated back to me given that I have stayed at the same address for the full duration of having that number (over 55 years).  Yes, I know this would incur a hefty cancellation fee from NOW but I am so adamant that I want to keep my original number.  I will also be contacting WATCHDOG to see if they can get involved.  I will also be letting WHICH consumer association know of the poor technology support offered by NOW if they do not rectify this stressful situation for me.

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Happened to us today! The website asked us to input our old landline number to check it could be kept and I received a message on the website confirming it could, so went ahead with switch. Only became aware our number had changed when my elderly mum let me know she hadn’t been able to get through on our old number and when she checked her incoming calls list, she noticed a different number. Open reach engineer with us for 2 hours today as the switch didn’t happen as it should have 2 days ago and even he couldn’t get anywhere when speaking to the NowTVtechnical team regarding the change of landline number. Clearly there are issues with their switching process they are not interested in resolving. Am considering next step.