cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New broadband customer question

I want to sign up as a new broadband customer but last time I tried (18 months ago) I couldn't because the router that was sent to me didn't have enough ethernet ports for the devices I need to connect via cables.  I need FOUR available ports (all of my other devices are OK with WiFi).  Could someone tell me how many ports the current router has please?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are two, why don't you buy a switch? That's what I use, they cost between £10 - £20 for a 5 or 8 port switch on amazon or elsewhere.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I tend to avoid using such devices where possible because of past experience of getting some degradation of throughput.  That was some years ago and devices may well be better now but I would still prefer a router with sufficient ports for my needs.  I was hoping NOW would have upgraded theirs since I spoke with them almost 18 months ago but they obviously don't think it is necessary or cost-effective.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Stop me if you know this, but an Ethernet switch as per @Anonymous User‘s excellent recommendation isn’t an on/off/select input sort of thing, but it’s more of a concentrator/distributor with all ports available at once.

So a two-port router with a five-port switch is every bit as good and useful as a six-port router would be., and with an eight-port switch, as good as a nine-port router.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you.