Mentor

Is it possible to get a static ip address from now

Is it possible to get a static ip address from now broadband

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @cjacs 

NOW don't use a Static IP address and use a Dynamic IP.

If you are after a Static IP address from your Broadband Provider you will have to find an ISP who offers a Static IP service.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @cjacs 

NOW don't use a Static IP address and use a Dynamic IP.

If you are after a Static IP address from your Broadband Provider you will have to find an ISP who offers a Static IP service.

cjacs
Mentor

Thank you for your help

Jayach
Elite 3

Most ISP's charge for a static IP, if they offer them at all. One who will supply them on request for free, starts with V (and isn't Virgin)

chilli2
Elite 2

As far as a know plusnet also offer a static IP for a small one off payment.

However there are other ways to skin a cat, such as a Dynamic DNS service

RoyB
Legend

@cjacs 

If I may ask, why do you want a static IP address?

As we may be able to offer an alternative solution to the underlying need you have, if we know what that is.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
cjacs
Mentor

Hi thank you for your reply. I access a online service and for security it checks my ip address. If the router reboots or I have a power cut it means I have to register my new ip with the service which is possible but time consuming

RoyB
Legend

@cjacs 

I had a Dynamic DNS service I used in Spain that required this.

The irony of a Dynamic DNS server that could not cope with my IP address being dynamic was not lost on me, but at least re-identifying took only seconds 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.