cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How to turn off 5GHz on HUB Two

I want to specifically turn off my 5GHz wireless frequency but keep my 2.4GHz switched on, on my Hub Two. How do I do this?

21 REPLIES 21
RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

I shouldn’t anthropomorphise these devices 😢 The Teckin app can only search for and connect to  Teckins in pairing mode on the band the device running the app is using. As above, whatever signal the Teckin in pairing mode is putting out, it isn’t broadcasting an SSID. It’s more like Bluetooth pairing, though it isn’t that either.

Why the app doesn’t check what band the iPad is using, tell you it won’t be able to connect if it’s 5GHz, and stop searching, I don’t know. I’m sure it could at least do that. Or invoke, perhaps with the user’s permission, the device’s ability to switch bands, as if the 5GHz band had suddenly ceased to be available.

But maybe this functionality isn’t exposed to apps in any sort of iPadOS API? Who knows?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Digging further, I reset the unused Teckin, and put it in pairing mode, where the light in the On/Off button blinks rapidly. And sure enough, it isn’t broadcasting an SSID. And the iPad sees it in offline mode, as does Google Home, and as does the Teckin app. Which can’t see it because the iPad is on 5GHz and the Teckin is on 2.4GHz and never the twain shall meet.

Its a bit like my Philips Hue devices, which you can’t see on the WiFi and have to be paired by an app, except that you never see them on the WiFi, even when they are set up, and only the Hue bridge ever has an IP address. They are Zigbee, I think. But unlike the Teckins, I can set them up via a device on either band; I think they talk Zigbee to the Hue Bridge and that talks WiFi to the setting-up device,

I guess once a Teckin is set up, the router mediates between the 5GHz iPad and the 2.4GHZ Teckin; it’s just that initial direct setup that needs both devices on 2.4GHz.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.