cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HCDM11
Advocate

Extending wifi

Hi, please forgive my lack of knowledge but I was wondering if someone can help. We have mesh in our house but I am wanting wifi in my workshop, the signal from boosters into the workshop won't reach however I do have a phoneline in the workshop. Is there anyway to use the phoneline to bring the wifi into there?  Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
redchiz1
Champion 2

It is likely that the extension socket is wired for voice only. If you have power sockets in your workshop you could look at powerline extenders?

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 wrote:

It is likely that the extension socket is wired for voice only. If you have power sockets in your workshop you could look at powerline extenders?

I second @redchiz1 ‘s suggestion.

Make sure you get the WiFi type, like this, though:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa7517-av1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10222...

There is a slightly cheaper one there also, but it’s not as versatile.

I hold no special torch for Curry’s, though that’s where I got mine - and got a non-WiFi one to begin with, which they kindly swapped when I went back an hour later - so check Amazon, etc. for price comparison.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
HCDM11
Advocate

Thank you for your replies. Would the powerlines work even though the workshop is on a different feed from the main house as we have business electric and residential meters to seperate the two?  Thanks

chilli2
Elite

The powerlines may struggle if they are on different power feeds.

you may be better off looking at a hard wired Ethernet connection - in other words a cable from the router in the house at one end, to a wireless access point at the other