cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeclanG
Mentor

Broadband constantly dropping quite often - DSL Link Down

Had an initial problem with the broadband as soon as it arrived, open reach engineer arrived and fixed issue. Was fine for a couple of days but now it is cutting off very regularly, sometimes a gap of 2 minutes, 6 minutes, or maybe a couple of hours. The internet light goes fully blank  --> flashes amber ---> fully amber ---> green . It is very disruptive at this point as I like to game and obviously it keeps kicking me out. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have already contacted NOWTV support and they said the tech team or something is looking at it over the weekend but we will see. I will attach an example of the logs in case any of you are familiar with them. Thank you.

2023-04-02 12:50:08 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 87.80.39.63
2023-04-02 13:04:13 syslog: [67259.146000] Line 0: VDSL2 link down
2023-04-02 13:04:15 syslog: [67261.075000] Line 0: xDSL G.994 training
2023-04-02 13:04:16 syslog: Clear IP addresses. IP connection DOWN.
2023-04-02 13:04:30 syslog: [67276.088000] Line 0: VDSL G.993 started

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DeclanG 

If you’re expecting broadband support from staff on here, then you’re sadly mistaken. All you can do is pester the broadband team until it’s resolved.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
DeclanG
Mentor

Haha I'm just asking in general seeing if anyone has had similar issues. But yeah planning on harassing them this week if they put me on the backburner

RoyB
Legend

@DeclanG 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=true&f...

The above is the result of putting the first three words of your title in the search box at the top of the page and pressing Enter.

That way, you don’t have to rely on them all finding your thread and posting in it 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
DeclanG
Mentor

3 months later, still having issues! Thanks NOWTV! Can't wait to end this contract already, never had so many issue before. What a joke.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DeclanG 

Since you’ve been having issues you’ll be able to leave without penalties. Hopefully the connection will be better with another provider.

Are you able to get FTTP or just FTTC which is what NOW can only offer?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

Now use openreachs copper cable  based products, either ADSL or VDSL/Fire to the cabinet (FTTC)

As do many other ISPs

If there is a  fault with the copper network while you use Now, then switching ISP to another FTTC supplier will mean the fault is still there, as the service comes down the same wires.

The difference being is that some ISPs only have the basic service package with openreach menaing that faults can take longer to fix , and some ISPs pay openreach more for an enhanced service package - i will let you guess where Now sit on that scale.

There are a few things you can do yourself that may expediate things:

1: Use your eyes, If there is a dangerous fault, or issue then this can be reported directly to openreach

Such faults can include obviously damaged poles, and assocated equipment , open / damaged covers  may be arked GPO/Post Office telephones/British Telecom/openreachdepending upon age,  open street cabinets and so on

2: sign up to/set up a Broadband quality monitor. There is a free one here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality  this will provide a log showing your connection quality, disconects/lag/ping etc there are instructions on the site on how to set it up.

In theory you should be able to use this in a complaint, and/or with now customer support - and as proof that your connection is bad

3: Switch to another provider with a better service agreement , or move to full fibre / FTTP if you can, fttp should solve all issues and future proof your connection, as copper services are due to be retired from most ( but not all) areas by 2025 with new analogue ( copper based) phone services/provides due to be retired from sale by september 2023.this means if you already have a copper based service you dont need to do annything, until 2025 but if you want to change provider you will have to move to a digital voice service that is provided over the internet .

Now will need to launch a new product by Septeber, othwise they will not e able to sign up new customers who also want a phone ( sometimes called a landlne phone service)

Put your address in here to see what you can get

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

There will be a heck of a lot of confusion over the stop sell of copper based phone services, and then the subsequent switch off of the old copper based phone system and plenty of oppertunitys for dodgy sales people to cause furhter confusion in order to get people to sign up.

At the moment the internet/data connctions are provided as part of/on top of a standard analogue phone service.

Soon this will change to phone/voice services are only provided as an intnernet /data service ( voice over internet - voip aka digital voice) with the internet/data being the primary service.