cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTF3
Mentor

Delay (and cancellation) of new broadband set up

I'm looking for advice, because no one over the phone could provide any useful advice

I moved into a new apartment on 02/10. I placed an order for broadband with Now on the same date. I got an email saying it'll likely be activated on 16/10. I then got a text on 09/10 saying that there's been a delay and they'll get in touch on 13/10. They didn't get in touch, so I called them today (16/10) to ask for updates. Apparently the previous tenant rejected my connection with Now. The Now people couldn't explain why. I think it has something to do with the previous tenant still being in contract with someone

Anyway, it frustratingly took me 2 weeks to learn this and the only thing Now said is to cancel my current order and try a new order in 3 days

I'm sick of talking to Now on the phone, it took me over an hour to learn a single sentence worth of information. So does anyone have any advice on what I should do from here? I could put another order in, but what if the same happens. One month without internet and crap mobile signal doesn't really work well considering I work from home 2 days a week 

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@RTF3 

Other ISPs are available.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RTF3
Mentor

Thanks for the response Roy. I'm aware I have all the opportunity to go to other ISPs, but I'm just concerned this will happen again with someone else. I would prefer to understand completely on how to avoid potentially waiting two weeks just to get my broadband cancelled 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RTF3 

To echo what @RoyB 

If you’ve reached the end of your tether which it sounds like you have I wouldn’t waste anymore time with NOW. That said it could be some silly glitches with OpenReach, which NOW fully rely on.

Either way best to shop around and see what can be offered.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

@RTF3 wrote:

Thanks for the response Roy. I'm aware I have all the opportunity to go to other ISPs, but I'm just concerned this will happen again with someone else.

You will never know unless you try.😉

This forum has lots of posts currently saying they are having problems getting a new connection with Now.

Personally I suspect (and I have no proof), it has to do with Now requiring an analogue telephone connection (PSTN or Sky LLU)

No other ISP's have the same restriction, so I would give them a go.

RoyB
Legend

@RTF3 

I found this, for what little it is worth:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/14n5eop/previous_tenant_refuses_to_cancel_broadband/

I like the idea that if the previous broadband isn’t cancelled, you just stick a router on your end and use what’s there, though I don’t know if that would actually need some sort of validation string; you would probably need to know what ISP is on the other end, though maybe you could dial 150 on the line and ask them who they are.

But it sounds like this is a hassle for Now; and whatever peculiar reason the previous tenant has for hanging on to the broadband there, he may have it again in two week’s time, and you will be back to square one.

So you need an ISP who is going to fight to get you connected, if there is any more nonsense, and that probably isn’t going to be Now.

One possibility for short-circuiting this may be to go with the present ISP, whoever that is. Or maybe that’s the worst possibility?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RTF3
Mentor

Thanks @RoyB @Jayach @gavs82008 ! I think there'll be no harm in calling another ISP prior to signing up to a new package to check if taking over the line is something they can do. I'm sure it'll all turn out fine