Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cristian
Mentor

Broadband activation delayed since 18th Dec

Hi all,

I'm posting my case here:

1. Black Friday, I see the Now broadband offer and I decide to switch my services with them. I try to hire it and I get an error on the website and had to call the customer service. I asked the question if I would have downtime as I'm a remote worker and the person in the customer service told me not to worry that I won't get any downtime, famous last words!!

2. 18th December arrives and got no line and no internet, I had to travel (Christmas period) and I still don't have a line when I came back, I called the customer service and they said there's an issue they will give me an update on the 2nd January. 

3. What this implies is, I'm a remote worker and I have to be travelling 4 hours every work day because, also spending around 10 pounds on commuting. On top of that, nothing in my house works because most of the stuff is connected to the internet, plus 30 pounds a month (x2) because of sharing my data from my phone for urgent work stuff.

3. Since the 2nd of January they are delaying the activation every week, now I dont even get messages with updates, I have to call them!! It's unbelievable. They said they have some autocompensation program, which it won't cover all the costs and stress this issue is causing me.

4. I've called them today and now they said I will get an update on the 7th Feb, with very bad manners because I asked why I'm not getting email and SMS updates. This is unbelievable, almost 2 months with no service and with a poor customer service.

Does anyone here have a similar experience?? I hope this nightmare ends soon, NOW broadband they are called...

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Cristian 

A quick word of warning no staff will come on to post.
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/what-is-community-for

As for the compensation program this is what they are talking about.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/auto-compensation

Unfortunately NOW are fully reliant on OpenReach. Who are overstretched due to the decommissioning of the FTTC which NOW can only provide.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

If you were switching from another FTTC ISP, you should have left Now to handle the swap, that way the previous ISP wouldn't stop providing your internet until Now take over. (unless that is what you tried to do, but it all went wrong)

Switching broadband provider - Ofcom

Are you sure there isn't an FTTP service in your area that you could have chosen instead?

View broadband availability - Ofcom Checker

Cristian
Mentor

@Jayach That's what I did unfortunately, I had an activation message indicating that the activation would be on the 18th Dec and the customer service told me to cancel my previous broadband and that's what I did. Apart from that, I've checked and only OpenReach provides broadband to my area, OpenReach was giving services to my old provider (Zen), this is why I wonder I had a great service with Zen and why I'm having this terrible experience with Now broadband....

Jayach
Elite 3

@Cristian wrote:

@Jayach That's what I did unfortunately, I had an activation message indicating that the activation would be on the 18th Dec and the customer service told me to cancel my previous broadband and that's what I did. 

They really shouldn't have told you that. (see the Ofcom link I posted earlier)
So your Zen connection was also FTTC?

The problem is FTTC connections are being phased out, and new connections to the PSTN are no longer allowed. That means most ISP's have to provide new telephone services digitally, but Now's router can't do that.

Whether that explains your problems getting connected, I don't know, but I suspect it has something to do with it.

I seriously think you should consider going with another ISP.

Cristian
Mentor

@Jayach Thank you very much for your message. I've decided to cancel everything and move to another provider, NOW Broadband is full of lies, delays and bad service