cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gabone
Advocate

Almost a month of waiting

My NOW broadband was meant to be activated on the 8th of August, but that never happened. They delivered all the equipment but I still couldn't get a connection even after the date.

I spoke to NOW on the phone on August 15 and they told me a third party cancelled my account but couldn't say how a third party can cancel my own subscription. Man on the phone created a new account for me and said it will go live on the 22nd. The next day I got a text and an email saying there is a delay due to there being an order with another provider for this line, which makes no sense as I am the only one who lives in this flat and I only signed up with NOW broadband. They haven't replied to my email since last week and when I called them today I was told to just wait until the 23rd and hope it goes live.

I've never had this happen before. It seems like nobody knows what's going on, so what am I meant to do? Has anybody experienced this in the past?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gabone 

NOW fully rely on OpenReach as they don't own any of their own network. So it sounds like OpenReach have slipped up several times. 

Not sure if this will give you any consolation.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/auto-compensation

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gabone 

NOW fully rely on OpenReach as they don't own any of their own network. So it sounds like OpenReach have slipped up several times. 

Not sure if this will give you any consolation.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/auto-compensation

Gabone
Advocate

Thing is they haven't even charged me for the subscription so far. I was thinking of cancelling my account for good and moving to BT, but if this is out of NOW's hands then I suppose I might just wait. Just an unfortunate situation I suppose

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gabone 

It depends if you have any TV memberships with NOW, as BT do not offer the good discounted rates when you play the cancel game. Whereas BT TV customers for NOW you are tied in for 24 months for a fixed price monthly. 

Otherwise, no harm in having a wee nosy.

The main question is, are you in an area where you can get FTTP through BT or Sky? As NOW can only offer FTTC which will be on the way out over the next few years.

Gabone
Advocate

Openreach fibre checker says Gfast is available, with FTTP build planned between now and 2026.

You reckon I should just wait and see what happens with my NOW activation date for the time being?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gabone 

Ouch that is a lengthy wait for FTTP ☹️ whereas I am lucky to be in a FTTP area and got 500mb with BT for £39. 

Yeah outside of Virgin Media every provider uses the OpenReach network. So it is very likely you might get the same hassle if you shop around. 
No harm in speaking over the phone with customer services with NOW and other companies to see what your options are. 

Gabone
Advocate

They have now given me a new activation date, 2 weeks from now. That is just outrageous for a simple line activation. I've never had to wait over a month for my internet to go live, not even during covid. You reckon BT would be able to do better on that or is it really just an issue with Openreach?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Gabone 

That sucks, if I am being honest not a clue. BT also rely on OpenReach so it could very well be the same, that said the only way to find out is to call them.

RoyB
Legend

@Gabone 

You can perfectly well go to BT for your broadband, and not have BT TV, and still get your Now streaming direct from Now.

Thats what I do; and judging from his last post, that’s what @gavs82008 does as well 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.