cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

I don’t like the Amazon interface, but it works better than NowTV. Native is best.
Highlighted
Expert 2

its all gone a bit quiet again hasn't it 🙂

That promised survey hasn't appeared.. but then last time it took over a month instead of a week.

Keeping specifics out of it.... version 2 seems a bit more stable but with a couple of things that still need fixing.

I must admit i have only used it to watch one show all the way through but that was a struggle as I find the difference between 'boost' HD and standard to be very noticeable on my TV at least, and I dont really want to be watching stuff in 720 when I have paid for 1080 and 5.1.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert

Well it must be a week since I sent an email to the trials manager, no response yet. 

Pandemic or not this is way too slow. 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert 2

@MrZippy me too - no reply from trials manager.  a bit odd as normally hes pretty good.

0 Thanks
Expert

I wish I knew why this was such a low priority, Apple made it easy for them with universal apps. Yet they choose to write a custom UI at extra time and cost to themselves.

Worse still form the visuals the super buggy version is actually released in Ireland!

It’s a shame as they do have some good content. It’s still saved me a fortune cancelling sky 6 years ago, and due to the old poor app I only binge box sets periodically on nowtv when I can get a discounted pass - never paid full price yet!
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert 2

@MrZippy 

I totally agree with you.  The whole thing is just odd.  Of all the platforms that NowTV "support" - the AppleTV (and therefore customer base) has been unbelievably poorly treated - for all the reasons we've gone over in these threads a multitude of times already.

But now, as of today, the appleTV desperately needs this update and also the boost function (yes I know some dont want it if they are using iPhones or iPads but we are taking about the HD and 4K AppleTV boxes here) - and that will only bring NowTV into line with what other streamers such as Amazon and Netflix have been doing for years. 

Even with boost, their service is way behind Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon as they have routinely been streaming in 4K for a while now.

NowTV is generally great... I mean that.  As a lifelong SkyTV subscriber I wouldn't be without the Sky one, and Sky movies services and having switched to NowTV as a money saving exercise it is tantalisingly close to being a fantastic alternative to those who do not want to commit to a high monthly fee, or necessarily want a dish on the house.

That being said, I understand that Sky intend to launch a dish-less service which will be a streaming service - but I wonder surely thats just NowTV isn't it?  Interesting to see what that is, and what happens to NowTV when it launches.  I suspect that you will get a 2 tiered service offering - either the Sky branded streaming service without the dish... which will miraculously be a 4K service with Dolby atmos level sound..., and then the NowTV service which is a lot cheaper per month but I suspect maxing out at 1080p and dolby 5.1.  I guess the Sky service would be a longer contract and more expensive too.

NowTV should be a major player in the UK market.... in fact they are but embarrassingly low-rent compared to others and at a similar if not more expensive price point.  The shame of it is, that NowTV have the content.. and they know it.  I dont know why that means that they think they can rest on their laurels and not provide a first class compelling proposition.

Again, this is to a tiny degree changing.  Now that Disney+ exists, some of the Disney movies such as Star Wars and Maleficent etc have released simultaneously on both platforms in the UK - the shame of it being that the same movie on Disney plus is a 4K stream and best you can hope for on a supported platform with NowTV is 1080p.

So lets hope that the new app is ready soon, and launched soon... i imagine those not on the beta trial are beyond fed up waiting for this and understandably cant imagine whats taking so long - its been 3 months in Beta so far with dare I say very little forwards progress.  I recall back in November last year we were all taking about the imminent release of the new App - and here we are half a year later 🙂 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert 3

@nst 

i imagine those not on the beta trial are beyond fed up waiting for this and understandably cant imagine whats taking so long - its been 3 months in Beta so far with dare I say very little forwards progress”

Not only them, according to my email history on this subject I’ve been on this beta trial since at least August 2018 & I’ve been thinking the same for about a year now... 😡

Highlighted
Mentor

I have to say, I’m currently watching the Manchester Derby on SSPL and I have to say, I’m pretty impressed with the quality of the picture.

Now I’m on the Beta so I’m not sure they’ve done some stuff behind the scenes but it’s definitely the best quality picture I’ve seen on NowTV.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert

See I’ve said this before, whilst 720p I believe the picture quality is way better than Netflix which is my main viewing and that’s 1080p.

I think NowTV are using a higher bitrate compared to Netflix, noticeably higher. So whilst the resolution is lower the quality is better meaning the upscale is more effective.
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Expert 2

@BSMoxham 

It is undoubtedly better than the old app - but then..... (5 years old port from even older app from previous generation appletv box)

It looks fine for sure, however I have to say that it is still far behind the 1080p of the boost enhanced content.

Ive tried to watch a couple of things for testing purposes but every time I have to give up as the picture just looks way softer and lower res than im used to on the NowTV box with boost.

I know that 1080p is hardly the second coming... but when you compare the same content in 720 vs boost's 1080 there is a distinct difference and you generally wont want to go back. Your TV might well be a 4K upscaler, and the 720 might look better than you hope with some TV wizardry... but as I say the 1080p version is markedly better.

This is my main fear for the new app.  Without boost I wont be able to use it.

0 Thanks