cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar 3

Re: Update Now TV app for apple TV

😏it must be so very hard for the development team to take the finished app and submit it to the UK app store.....

they must be too exhausted after pressing the button that submitted it to the Irish app store.

0 Thanks
Highlighted

Having recently upgraded my TV to a 55” Dolby Vision capable set, the gulf between the 4K HDR10/DV content on Netflix, Prime & ATV+ via Apple TV is huge. I’ve also jumped from a UK Disney Life subscription to a US Disney+ one ahead of signing up the UK Disney+ release at the end of March.

All offer watchlist & up next functionality. All offer 4K HRD10/DV content. And in the case of UK Disney+, an expectation of the ABC content that SKy/NowTV formerly had (Grey’s Anatomy etc - a must for my wife) will now be on that service.

I’ll re-up my NowTV Entertainment subscription for The Orville when it starts, but beyond this I’m now starting to struggle with the diminished content I’m interested in on the service and the direct-from-2010 tvOS app functionality and performance (still no 1080 & 5.1 on Apple TV...).

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar

The Orville Season 3 is moving from Fox to Hulu so unless Sky/Now TV have confirmed otherwise then it will only be available (if possible in the UK) via a direct-from-Disney "channel".

Highlighted

Hadn’t thought about the UK implications of The Orville’s Hulu move. Barring any must see new HBO series, losing The Orville would be the last thing keeping me on NowTV. 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

I can only assume that the reason NowTV app hasn't updated it's AppleTV App is that maybe there isn't enough of a customer base who uses AppleTV to watch NowTV justify the expenditure. Because the iPhone App is updated regularly. So it can't be a problem between Apple and Sky.

0 Thanks
Scholar 3

There is demand for it as the app was released in the Ireland Apple store, and uk has bigger market than Ireland. As I mentioned a few times from the source on a forums a blocked her works in r@d mention 26th January. 

Highlighted
Expert 2

Off topic, but the Disney has just annouced a late March launch date. Subs are £5.99 per month. Or £59.99 for 12 months, one off payment.

Highlighted
Elite

@nickmorc 

Good spot, BBC website confirms the date.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51189379

The new streaming service Disney+ is to launch on 24 March in the UK, a week earlier than originally planned.

Pricing has also been revealed - it will cost £5.99 per month or £59.99 a year, making it more expensive than the earlier DisneyLife platform.

Disney has confirmed that the new service will replace DisneyLife in the UK and Ireland.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar 3

What’s funny is I only dip into NowTV occasionally because of their abysmal Apple TV app. So in my case they are loosing money as I can’t bare to use the buggy and poor interface of the existing app for long periods. 

What’s stupid is the biggest issue is the lack of recently watched, which I’m sure could probably be added without even updating the app.  I have now had to create a note on my phone to update with what I am watching and which episode is next, seriously that is a joke!

On a positive the picture quality seems noticeably better than my HD Netflix which is supposed to be 1080p, vice 720p on NowTV. Seems to be a better bitrate on NowTV. 

Please update that app and take my money!

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Scholar 3

Forgive me for taking the 26th January with a pinch of salt... being that its a Sunday and I dont think thats a very common day for apps to receive updates in the iOS app stores.... and today is the day but no joy.

However, worth nothing that we are in the last week of January. 

A couple of sources have mentioned a late January release... so I guess we wait and see.

Just don't hold your breath for the next week.

I would re-iterate that this is such an important release... at least as far as i'm concerned.

I think its fair to say that the AppleTV box is probably the best out there... now I know that things like the Fire Stick 4K are all well and good... and considerably cheaper than the AppleTV.... however in my experience the AppleTV is truly the one box you'll need.  

Why?  well its the only Box that I can see that has:

iPlayer, All4, ITV, Demand5, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, AppleTV, and NowTV.

Plus, the 'up next' function on the AppleTV app is excellent (but a real shame that Netflix doesnt play nicely with it)

From the above list... the NowTV stick is missing Amazon.  The FireTV stick is missing NowTV... etc etc. and thats not to even mention the Boost add-on that should be universal but isn't.

Personally I want to choose the best box to sit under my TV and i want to avoid the clutter with multiple boxes, multiple cables, and multiple remotes....

Its frustrating as we are almost there.... but I refuse to use the 4 year old NowTV app on the AppleTV as its basically unusable.

I feel we are almost there.... surely this cant be delayed much further.

Ever the pessimist... my next concern will be that they dont bother to keep it updated going forward... so the AppleTV app will stagnate again and not get the attention it deserves as they demonstrated last time.