cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 3

Android integration

Just seen an advert for TalkTalks new Android based streaming box and the user says "play Succession on Now".

Do any of the super users know if that means Google integration is definitely coming to Now and if so, when?

Will it extend to Roku and/or other smart devices or be limited to Google TV?

7 REPLIES 7
Saint1976
Elite 3

Well, this all happened quietly.

5 minutes of trying different voice commands with Google home and I can get Now to open on the Roku (Hey Google, open Nowtv on living room Roku) but can't get anything to play (Hey Google, play Succession on Nowtv on living room Roku).

Trying several different shows, Google can find the show in the search feature but can't play them.

Frustratingly close to working after waiting so long for integration to arrive!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 

I am not very clued up when it comes to voice assistants which is something I am not that really interested personally myself (i am more old school and voice commands find it difficult with my Welsh accent).

I haven't heard anything directly from NOW, but I believe since the newer versions of Roku OS was released there was some form of Google voice integration.

Having a quick read of this Roku link below it looks like basic commands only (unless it will get more refined in the future), where the Google TV integration voice commands on the second link Google Assistant on Google TV seems to cover more voice related stuff.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/360009649613 

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/10070077?hl=en&ref_topic=7658509 

Saint1976
Elite 3

Hi @schnapps yes I've always known about the limitations with Roku voice commands with Google assistant but prior to very very recently, Google didn't even recognise Now. If I said "hey Google, open Nowtv on living room Roku" the response from Google assistant would be "I'm sorry, I don't understand".

I tried this as recently as a few weeks ago when someone started a thread on Google TV integration. When I get a minute to find the thread I'll see if that Google TV user has full voice control.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 

Perhaps fire off an email to NOW saying what you seen on the TalkTalk advert and ask if there will be a NOW App upgrade to other devices such has Roku when it comes to Google voice integration.

I am really not clued up on voice Assistant on various platforms such had Google, Amazon etc (though I would be interested in having a read of the Google TV thread you mentioned).

Saint1976
Elite 3

@schnapps the user couldn't get Google voice search to return results of Now content. I can get that to work on my Roku but not the Google TV app.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Google-TV-doesn-t-search-within-Now/m-p/595422

All a bit of a mess to be honest 🤣

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 

Perhaps somebody who owns one of these new TalkTalk TV Android TV boxes can confirm here on the forum if NOW App integration works with Google voice.

RoyB
Legend

@Saint1976 

And when the user says it, do you see it apparently work?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.