cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trying to connect now TV box via dvi cable to TV without HDMI port

I have purchased a black now TV box and wanted to connect to a non HDMI compatable Hd tv. I have brought a dvi cable with separate audio input as was recommended on a forum but this seems to be for the old white model as there is no where to connect the audio on the new box. Now have picture but no sound. Is there any way I can get the sound working?
8 REPLIES 8
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

You'll need to get yourself something like: this

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I have tried to connect the now tv smart box to an old Sony PC monitor with DVI-D. I've routed it through a revesun HDMI-DVI-D adaptor and although the TV signal displays perfectly and videos played through YouTube etc, the Now TV menu screen and TV guide is not displaying correctly - the text looks blocky, which is almost illegible and the menu screen doesn't seem to fit in the screen, its shifted slightly to the left. I'm wondering if its something to do with the resolution settings of the now TV box that don't quite match with the screen?

The screen settings are 720 x 480. 60hz. There is minimal changes that can be made on the settings of the TV, none of which seem to improve the display of the text. On the now TV box the only options I have are 720 or 1080 and both settings give the same problem.

Any suggestions on how this could be fixed? Are there any advanced settings in the now TV smart box that might sort the display problems?

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately, the only options in the nowtv box display is to change the resolution video output from 1080p to 720p.

IMO, these nowtv smart boxes where designed mainly for the TV market using preferably 4K or HD 16.9 Televisions, where if i was connecting these smart boxes to a Computer Monitor with either inbuilt or external speakers, i would personally myself be looking at a 720p or higher resolution widescreen PC Monitor with a HDMI video input that supports HDCP

Perhaps somebody on here with more PC video down scaling knowledge  than me, can offer you some guidance on how you can improve the picture quality from the NowTV smart box when using your low resolution Sony PC Monitor.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. The screen supports up to 1080i but when using the dvi-d pc input it seems to only support up to 720 and it says 60hz. I was hoping there might be another secret menu on the now tv box to open up some advanced settings for the screen settings, maybe not though!
chilli2
Elite

the roku units should support upto 1080 resolution, g this can be changed in settings.

Now tv only uses 720, but other apps such as Netflix should be in 1080.

ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2

As a Roku 3 user, I can confirm that my Roku box does support 1080p resolution, which can also be manually changed to 720p.

UK Bob

chilli2
Elite

Just spotted that this refers tyo a Now TV box, as opposed to a Roku unit.

might be better enqiuring here https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/bd-p/nowtvbox2 as the Now Tv Boxes have different firmware and behave slightly differently to the Roku devices