Is it possible to get Now tv on an app?

Rather than Through the browser.

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ub456789 
Highly unlikely as they ditched the app not long ago completely for the browser.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ub456789 
Highly unlikely as they ditched the app not long ago completely for the browser.

ub456789
Mentor

This is what I assumed.

Sometimes the easiest answers are the correct ones.

Just wondered If there were any third party apps?.

James

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ub456789 

Once upon a time there was a native windows app and that got ditched for the NOW player, then of course the player got ditched completely.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ub456789 

out of interest why do you want an app rather than a browser? Is it because you're using a Microsoft surface device and as such have struggled to use the browser-based player?

just to give a bit more context to what @gavs82008 as said above

in most situations the browser-based player we have now would be better than the UWP app ever was . Even if you could use it now. it probably wouldn't have subtitle functionality. the old Windows app was a first-generation UWP app that was originally designed for Windows 8.1. Let's just say the first gen UAP apps were questionable at best. Although I will admit it was better than the Silverlight player we had at the time. If you are using a Windows 8 device. Unfortunately, when Windows 10 was released. The app was only given a compatibility patch not a redesign and was completely retired a few years ago, when now completely moved to the now-defunct, 'now player'.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
RoyB
Legend

@ub456789 @commanda6 @gavs82008 

While the browser app may load content more reliably, it is inferior to the previous app, which was in turn inferior to the Windows Store app.

For one thing, the browser app has a memory leak that runs me out of main memory in 4-5 hours.

For another thing, it keeps changing the picture size from 16:9 to something that fills the screen, but loses stuff off the sides and perhaps even off the top and bottom,

It’s a complete pain, also, to keep the screen controls from overlaying the picture all the time, often without warning.

If you start from a certain point, watch some of the programme and then don’t exit cleanly, it forgets where you got to, and goes back to the progress point you started at.

And before, you were able to find something in the Now app and then just start it. But now, you have to start the browser, and set Now in a tab in that, before you can even try to start any actual programme.

And there are probably other faults and infelicities that I can’t bring to mind at the moment.

In summary, it’s gone from nicely streamlined and without any button overlay, but a bit unreliable, to a clunky mess with button overlays, but which does at least start programmes reliably. And then goes downhill from there 😢

I too want it to go back to being an app!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ub456789
Mentor

Thanks for making my Post sound Knowledgeable It's appreciated.

It's a shame we can't have a third-party app!

Wonder If Now can help?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ub456789 

If and big if they reply the response will be to use the browser and no app will be available anytime soon if at all.