cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bal212
Mentor

streaming in chrome (windows pc)

finally, a long-awaited feature: we can now stream directly from the browser (chrome, at least) and dont have to install that dreaded NOW extension that was slow and really uncomfortable to use. it makes things so much easier, so its good to know if anybody's interested

• PC
3 REPLIES 3
Nitro
Scholar 2

@bal212 It's been available since June 2023.

RoyB
Legend

@Nitro @bal212 

And it’s a complete pain to use - just wait until you get the onscreen controls that won’t go away 😢

And it used to be that while it was a crapshoot if the programme you wanted actually started playing or not, at least most of the time it did, at least when it worked, you just had to make the one selection of the programme, and away you (usually) went. Now you have to open the browser, open Now in it, and only then can you start looking for the programme you want.

Thing is, you call it a ‘dreaded extension’; but when you think about it, it’s only like the Now app is on every other platform, which nobody thinks twice about having to start.

Except that for some strange reason, on PCs and Macs it was ‘headless’, meaning you needed a different way to choose the programme you wanted to watch, for which the browser did duty.

So, two pieces of software needed where on every other platform, one would suffice. Something that certainly wanted addressing. But what did Now do? Instead of making the app ‘headed’, like the Now app everywhere else, they did away with the app and added code to the browser that was doing the ‘heading’ for the app. And now we are stuck with all the limitations of the browser, insurmountable because this isn’t an app doing the rendering.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
bal212
Mentor

@RoyB 

guess i'm having a very different experience. mostly i watch on a device and the big telly, but sometimes i watch on the notebook in the browser and for me its quick, easy and practical... and much faster to navigate than the previous method.