cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trouble with MS Remote desktop

Hi,

I am trying to connect to my work server, from home.  This is a two step process - 1) Cisco VPN, which connects fine, and 2) Microsoft Remote Desktop  - which does not connect, and gives me the following error message: 

We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the remote PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled. If this keeps happening, contact your network administrator for assistance.  Error code: 0x3000016

My work IT have spent 5+ hours on this and have concluded that something in NowTV broadband security settings (?) is blocking the remote desktop.  To confirm this, I tested it on with another internet provider in our local library.  Same laptop, same vpn, same remote desktop software and it worked.  The only difference is the broadband provider.

NowTV helpdesk say the following: From NOWTV broadband: There's no real setting with us that would be blocking an application from connecting, the only setting we can advise customers to change is with regarsds to wireless channels, wo don't actually provide support for any vpn on here you see

I have tried several different wifi channels and it doesn't work.  Same error message.

I have already added the addresses the remote desktop is trying to connect too, to the safe sites via Broadband Buddy and this makes no difference.  I can't connect, and get the same error message.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Solved this?  

I am using the latest version of all OS / software.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry for the delay.

I don't think it's the laptop as I took the laptop to the local library - same machine, same VPN, same remote desktop and it worked.  The only difference is ISP & router.

All the variations of the web address / IP for the server have been added to the 'protected site' section of broadband buddy already.

Here is the information from my IT department:

1. Where you are coming in to: remote connecting to work server, not an individual machine.  RDS server

2. What you can reach from there: access to business data and applications located on RDS server

3. What function Remote Desktop is performing: allow to secure connect to company IT services

4. Why we need a VPN & remote desktop: VPN is safety, remote desktop gives access as per 3

Thanks.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don’t really know enough about RDP to go much further 😥

Is there anything in this link:-

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/82667093-ee18-4686-ba07-4fa8b0da7e99/remote-desktop-version-10-mac-app?forum=winRDc

that might help, particularly how “Louie’s Mum” fixed it?

And despite it clearly being a problem with your router (or, less probably, with NowTV Broadband itself), you could usefully try posting on the MS site about RDP support, as someone there might have a better idea about what RDP requires, and what your setup might be blocking of that.

Might be as simple as just requiring a couple of ports opening.....

I’m also chasing up on a good tech resource I subscribe to, see if anyone there has any ideas.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.