cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowPlayer for Mac is rubbish

I just tried watching my first program on the desktop player app, ironically it was a program about good design.   I paused the player for a moment (had to answer phone), and put my MacBook in sleep mode. Usually everything keeps running, and restores to same view when it 'wakes'  - but the NowPlayer ended the program I was watching, it didn't pause/resume, just displayed a generic link to visit the website.  Why doesn't it cache the playback point? and why is there no user-menu to return to recently viewed or resume-playing?

I'm cancelling, there's too many better alternatives available.

4 REPLIES 4
redchiz1
Champion 2

As a NOW subscriber and Mac user I have never used the desktop player myself. But other members of my family have and it works fine.

So, what MacBook are you using and which version of macOS? Is the app working OK on other devices?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using a MacBook Pro (intel Chip) running OSX Monterey.  The problem occurs when it's temporarily put into 'sleep' mode (by closing lid or selecting sleep from menu).  What setup are you using and have you tried putting it in sleep mode and then attempting to resume playing a video?

It also does same thing on MacMini 2018 running same latest MacOS.

How do you play NowTV stream on your device without their player?

I cancelled my 7-day trial (after 4 days), but they still took the £9.99 subscription from my account - not a good experience of Now/Sky and their policy.

redchiz1
Champion 2

I don't use it myself as I said, but my younger son does on his MacBook Air, also Intel and Monterey, without any problems. Unfortunately he is away at uni at the moment so I can't ask him to do a test for me!

Hopefully another Mac user will be along to help. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

I have re-read the topic and on balance I think you may be expecting too much from the player. The same issue would occur if you were watching it via an app, although it should remember the resume point when you return to watch an interrupted programme and you should see that from the menu.