cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im confused about the phone minutes..

I'm really interested in the Fibre Broadband but I'm very confused about 'free anytime calls' - I don't want it to interfere with my parents BT phone landline at all? What am I signing up to and will it affect the homes Landline?! I literally just want the Fibre, if i sign up for this will NOW TV take over my family homes BT landline bills/number?

"Fab Fibre" 

• 36Mbaverage* speed
  • Unlimiteddownloads
  • £5.00Setup costs
  • 12month contract
  • Anytime calls
  • £20.00 per month
  • £20.42 Avg. monthly cost
10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Only if you “port” their number will the phone line be effected.

With NOW you have to take out phone line with the broadband, but this doesn’t mean you mean need to have a phone device plugged in.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

But I do have a phone plugged in? We have a very busy landline phone with a number we have had for 40 years, I don't want to effect that at all. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

That landline your talking about is with the other provider. 

If you take out another account with NOW you won’t need to have another phone device plugged in. The current phone with other provider will remain unaffected.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

I knew someone who had BT and EE broadband connections in the same property and only the BT landline was being used with a phone device.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

As Now don’t offer Superfast Fibre, (FTTP - Fibre To The Property) which comes with its own connection independent of any existing telephone line, but only FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) the last part of the connection is the copper to your home, which Now would need to take over from BT. So your parent’s landline would be no more. And if you didn’t port their number, or Now dropped it on the floor, as they are rather prone to do, their 40-years’ familiar number would be no more, either,

So you would need to be asking for a new run of copper from the cabinet to the property you live in (is it yours, rather than your parents’, by the way?) to keep your broadband separate from their existing BT line.

And you would have to check with Now whether this is achievable or not.

And I sincerely hope that Now have safeguards against taking you on and taking what is effectively somebody else’s phone line (even if that somebody else happens to be your Dad) if it isn’t achievable.

How are you getting broadband at the moment by the way? Mobile, or via a broadband contract your parents have with BT that you are not telling us about?

@gavs82008 - you don’t seem to be seeing the difficulties here that I do. Am I wrong about this?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

It could me my misinterpretation of the situation! 
When my old friend had FTTC broadband with BT his brother wanted a separate connection in the same property and they took out another FTTC connection with EE. From what I remember their ended up being two separate phone lines in the property. 

This was a few years ago, although I’m assuming it could still be permitted. Which is what I’m thinning this situation is after? 

RoyB
Legend

@gavs82008 

Oh yes, it’s permitted and happens quite a bit in HOMOs. But it does need that separate line run, and there must be room in the cabinet for the new connection.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB  

@gavs82008 

I'm currently on standard broadband with Plusnet, I get about 12.5 Mbps download (and when it rains becomes even slower!) I've been with them for literally 9 years at 16.99 a month. 

Fibre has come down in price, and NOW TV has fibre with a minimum guarantee of 27mg download speeds which is ideal for a few pounds more. But the need of interfering with the landline phone line is very worrying.

Also, why is it up to the community forums to answer this for me? I've tried repeatedly to speak to an official person (not that your information is incorrect) but it doesn't fill me with much confidence that I can't speak to someone clearly about this. I want the fibre at this price but want my parent's landline service provider BT and Landline number completely intact. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Best to give the team a call to see what can be done just to make sure.

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/switching-to-now-broadband-or-moving-home

NOW Broadband Members can call us 8am–8pm, 7 days a week.

03300 412518