cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starman73
Elite

lost a day on entertainment pass

Started my membership with 2 month offer today on 31 March and it ends on 30 May - Why doesn't it end on 31 May?

Recent payments

Entertainment Membership
Paid on 31 Mar 2022

Entertainment Membership

Your offer ends on 30 May 2022. Then it will be £9.99 per month.
You're getting over 300 Box Sets plus the latest must-see TV shows on channels you won't find on Freeview.
39 REPLIES 39
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB Ha! Leaving all that aside, thanks for mentioning the free Cinema trial, which as a long-standing member like yourself I was surprised to see. I have just taken it up and will see what comes along when I cancel.  😎

RoyB
Legend

@starman73 @redchiz1 

I have been giving this missing day some thought, and I have three conjectures:-

Whoever set the deal up can’t count;

Whoever set the deal up doesn’t know the rhyme that begins “Thirty days hath September….”

Or maybe it’s a software glitch, because the deal is calculated month to month, and:-

March 31 would reach to April 31, but there isn’t an April 31.

Now can’t go to May 1, because then the deal would run to Jun 1, and they can’t have that.

So for April, it goes to April 30.

Then it runs for another month, but Now have done this by date, and that’s how it gets to May 30,

They have not allowed that it should go for the whole month here, to the 31st; they have just run it date to date.

Depending on whether this is a one-off or universal, this logic would make a membership bought on January 31 even worse value 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB wrote:

@starman73 @redchiz1 

“Thirty days hath September….”

@RoyB I am glad you mentioned that, it came to my mind too!  🙂

starman73
Elite

As stated earlier…

"April may have 30 days, but by that logic anyone taking an offer on 31 Jan would have it expire on 28 Mar"

I guess the learning here is don’t take out a membership after 28th of month or you will lose days.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@starman73 wrote:

As stated earlier…

"April may have 30 days, but by that logic anyone taking an offer on 31 Jan would have it expire on 28 Mar"

I guess the learning here is don’t take out a membership after 28th of month or you will lose days.

Unfortunately this is how the NOW system works 😠.

I took out a NOW monthly Membership a few years back on the 29th of the month and when the calendar month was in February it automatically changed the scheduled payment date from the 29th to the 28th and remained that way the following months thereafter.

So if starting a new Membership i try to avoid the dates of the 29th, 30th and 31st if one of the following up and coming months you want to keep the Membership for doesn't tally or goes beyond the same calendar date you started the Membership.

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, so it is just a wee bit capricious?  😕

Apologies to @starman73 btw, I never intended to offend and I was only drawing on my own experience here and that of using calendar days/months/years generally. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 @schnapps @starman73 

It’s not the slightest bit capricious. It’s the entirely predictable operation of a faulty algorithm.

The logic should hold the day-of-month that the membership was taken out on, and make all future renewal dates the minimum of that and the end-of-month date.

So a membership taken out on the 31st of January would renew on the 28th February, the 31st of March, the 30th April, the 31st of May, the 30th June, the 31st July, and so on. Simples…. 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Oh it so is. Avoid the latter days of the month, that's it? Maybe don't get stressed if you are caught out? But this topic may serve as a salutary warning to any others who have the misfortune of bad timing. I will certainly bear it in mind for want of losing a day. 

RoyB
Legend
capricious
/kəˈprɪʃəs/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

1. given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behaviour.
    "it's terrible to feel our livelihood hinges on a capricious boss"

changing according to no discernible rules; unpredictable.

Whereas the rules here are entirely predictable 😢

RoyB
Legend

@starman73 

Nothing to add, just thought of the little jokule above,,,,