cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Unable To Set Up TV Power Control via NOW TV Smart Stick Remote

@WT77 wrote: 

So, with that in mind, can anyone else confirm whether or not the set-up process for 'TV Power and Volume Control' via the NOW TV Smart Stick remote should include a stage for testing the 'TV Power' button? Or is it just the music test for 'Volume Control'?

Just the 'musical test'

schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @Andy

That was a useful Roku help guide that you posted, i didn't realise that you can go into the remote controller setup deeper if the nowtv remote didn't pair with your TV IR codes.

My setup my pretty painless and the Roku found my TV IR code first time on my Panasonic TV.

Fingers crossed from your helpful assistance @WT77 will be sorted Smiley Happy

commanda6 Champion 2
Champion 2

@Andy wrote:

@schnapps @commanda6 whilst I can't comment on the Roku Stick+ you have, the NOW TV Stick is based on the Roku Streaming Stick, it's only issuing IR commands not controlling volume or standby over HDMI, so CEC isn't needed and the stick doesn't have to be connected to the TV for volume/standby to work (although it's probably a good idea to do so for the initial setup).

@Andy I think that when it comes to Roku/Roku-based kit I'm going to have to bow to your superior knowledge from now onSmiley Very Happy unless it's to do with the Roku 3 or streaming stick plus or NowTV smart box

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

@WT77 the smart stick works for me as far as controlling the TV is concerned on my newer LG TV but not on my older Bush one.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

WT77
Contributor 3

@Andywrote:

@WT77 Panasonic and Samsung are both common manufacturers and I would imagine they use a limited number of IR codes for standby commands, I would have expected it to have the codes, but can't guarantee.

The stick should know the TV make on setup by interrogating the TV but it won't know the exact IR codes so you end up with those endless musical options, but if the first set of codes don't work have you gone through them systematically by rejecting the ones that didn't work previously (say No the sound didn't mute even if it did to skip onto the next one, you'll have to keep count of which ones you've tried). Bit hard to explain but look at the bottom of this help page to get the idea

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115013019828

Roku do say they are some models of TV where volume control will work but not standby, but like you I would expect most models of Samsung and Panny to be ok.

The suggestion to do a factory reset and/or forced software update might be worth it.

@schnapps @commanda6 whilst I can't comment on the Roku Stick+ you have, the NOW TV Stick is based on the Roku Streaming Stick, it's only issuing IR commands not controlling volume or standby over HDMI, so CEC isn't needed and the stick doesn't have to be connected to the TV for volume/standby to work (although it's probably a good idea to do so for the initial setup).

Thanks for your additional input, Andy... but, as per my OP, I have "gone through them systematically by rejecting the ones that didn't work previously" which, as you rightly suggest, did include multiple attempts where I would "say No the sound didn't mute even if it did to skip onto the next one" despite the fact that the device did "know the TV make on setup by interrogating the TV" and that fact was confirmed (when I had exhausted all of the options) by mentioning the TV brand in the final pop-up window.

The Roku help article was interesting... if only to see that they included an option to enter your TV brand manually - something which AFAIK the process does not include when attempting to set-up 'TV Power and Volume Control' with the remote supplied for controlling the new NOW TV Smart Stick - however, I appreciate your sharing the link, since I was running-out of options.

As for the reset / update thing... that has already been attempted but (as with everything else I tried) made no difference.

I'm going to give it one last try, before giving it a go on a different TV, then exchange it if I need to after that.

Fingers crossed, I'll get it working soon!

0 Thanks
WT77
Contributor 3

Hi, everyone...

Thanks to all of you who contributed with various sugestions and/or snippets of advice to this thread.

You will no doubt be pleased to hear that crossing my fingers before making  "one last attempt" to get my NOW TV Smart Stick remote set-up for 'TV Power and Volume Control' of my Panasonic and Samsung televisions obviously did the trick... since I am now able to control both of my TV's using the buttons on the NOW TV Smart Stick remote.

Despite going well beyond the old adage of "If at first you don't succeed, try, and try, and try again"... given it took more than 3 or 4 tries before I eventually succeeded, I'm glad I persevered and got there in the end!Smiley Very Happy

I honestly have no idea why this had eluded me, thus far, but all's well that ends well - for today, at least!Smiley TongueSmiley Wink

I'm just hoping it's not going to be that difficult every time I set it up on a different TV (e.g. when taking it on our travels) which, given the extremely portable nature of this device, is one of the main reasons why I bought it in the first place!Smiley Happy

Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@WT77 Well that is good news, and apologies for not reading your first post properly, I only had a couple of minutes before I had to log off. 

Don't question why it didn't work or why it does work now, just go and enjoy the stick and reward yourself with a strong cup of ... well, whatever takes your fancy! Smiley Wink

0 Thanks
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

@Andy I think that when it comes to Roku/Roku-based kit I'm going to have to bow to your superior knowledge from now onSmiley Very Happy unless it's to do with the Roku 3 or streaming stick plus or NowTV smart box

@commanda6 Definitely don't have much knowledge, I just mess around and somethings sink in! With your knowledge of XBoxes, Playstations, LG TVs, Windows PCs you have me well and truly beat! I'd kick rear end in a rubbish 80s horror movie pub quiz though Smiley Happy

commanda6 Champion 2
Champion 2

@Andy wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

@commanda6 Definitely don't have much knowledge, I just mess around and somethings sink in! With your knowledge of XBoxes, Playstations, LG TVs, Windows PCs you have me well and truly beat! I'd kick rear end in a rubbish 80s horror movie pub quiz though Smiley Happy

but I would beat you on a Star Wars pub quiz @Andy Smiley Very Happy

I think it would be fair to scratch PlayStation off the list of devices that I'm knowledgeable on while I do have a PlayStation four. It only gets used once in a blue moon. And most of the troubleshooting steps that are posted in the past on forums are things that I've learned from some of @Karl-F's previous posts Smiley Wink you did forget about youview though

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Thanks
PaulJones1983
Contributor 1

Try a different hdmi port and usb. Not certain but There maybe config differences on for eg the hdmi arc port.
I have a samsung tv with the nowtv stick plugged in to hdmi 3 and it just worked. No setup required
0 Thanks