cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beatrix
Advocate

Remote control

My remote control is giving up, I have downloaded the app and so use this however my grandma lives with us and cannot use the app at all. I've tried to teach her and make it as easy as possible but she can't get the hang of it. Any idea where I can get a new remote, will second hand ones work? If she can't watch her police shows when we're at work she'll be very upset! Lol 

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Beatrix 

Do you have a NOW Stick or NOW Box ?

If it's a NOW Box which model is it ?

The black box gen 1, NOW Freeview Smart box with the blue NOW TV logo on the box top casing or the NOW 4K Smart box with the NOW TV pink logo ?

Also I am assuming none of these trouble shooting tips in this linked article below helps ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/remote-control-troubleshooting 

Beatrix
Advocate

@Beatrix 

@schnapps sorry it's a now TV box, with the pink logo on top.

I've tried all the troubleshooting tips online but think it's just very old now

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Beatrix 

Like @RoyB mentioned most of the third party remotes don't seem to work on the NOW branded devices from reading reports on the forum by other customers (unless a forum member have any experience of a full functioning third party remote which works with their NOW 4K Smart box or NOW Stick).

The problem going down the second hand route is that you got to find a trustworthy seller who doesn't sell you a broken remote and even if it works there is no guarantee how long it will function / last.

If you do decide to gamble on a second hand remote (don't pay much for it) then make sure it's a branded NOW "smart voice" remote like the picture below.

It can be either all black like the picture or have pink direction and enter buttons on it with the NOW TV logo in pink or the NOW Stick voice remote with the yellow direction and enter buttons with the yellow NOW TV logo on the bottom of the remote should also work with the NOW 4K Smart box with the pink logo on the box top casing.

You could try the replacement £19.99 Roku remote which Argos sell, but before you buy make sure Argos offer a no quibble return full refund policy if it doesn't work with your box (never tried this product myself on any of my NOW branded boxes or stickes).

Perhaps a forum member who has experience of this can confirm either way.

Personally myself I would bite the bullet and purchase a new Roku player.

servlet.png

RoyB
Legend

@Beatrix 

First, make sure your Roku app is set to Traditional rather than Swipe, in Settings. I can’t get on with Swipe, and Traditional looks much more like a real physical remote.

There are lots of remotes for Now boxes on Amazon, but most of them won’t work with Now Sticks, and those that do cost silly money.

Roku do a Smart Remote for about £20 that ought to work; if it doesn’t, you can always return it for a refund.

If you can’t find a suitable remote, consider a whole new device from the Roku range; Express HD £30, Express 4K £40, Smart Stick £50.

But we do need to know precisely which Now box you have to see if the cheaper remotes will suffice or not.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.