cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet Connection

Right, I have just purchased a NowTv Smart Box. Everything was fine, the set up ran smoothly and I set up the account with no problems. I connected the box to my router with an ethernet cable.
We were watching a program thro catch up when the picture went off and a red banner popped up "Internet connection has been lost" no sooner had the red banner appeared when a green banner popped up with "Internet connection is back". We went back into the programme, found our place (it had chucked us back to the beginning of the programme) and continued to watch. Approximately 3 minuted later, the same thing happened and continued to do so for the duration of the programme - most annoying!! We've had no issues with our router and to our knowledge, the signal has been a constant one serving our phones, laptop, tablet and when we had it Sky On Demand. Its Virgin and we get speeds of around 50 Mbps. I've Googled the issue but can't seem to find anything. The most annoying thing is it dropping the signal for literally a split second (The red banner hardly has time to display before the green banner appears) but in doing so, it takes you out of whatever it is you are watching!!
I thought I would try a wireless connection, but this wouldn't even connect to the Local Network, it just failed and gave me a 014.50 error message.
Surely this is a faulty box, or does anyone else experience this and just "put up" with it 🤔
66 REPLIES 66
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Maybe there is something in this article that might help ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Troubleshooting-steps-for-the-Roku-player

Anonymous User
Not applicable

internet connection keeps dropping in and out.red banner saysconnection lost and within seconds it says connection back .then have to try and get programe only for the same problem to keep happening.have tried all their fixes but still the same.been going on for thee weeks now.think i will cancel subscription unless a miracle happens in next few days.i read that disney are buying sky ,looks like they enjoy mickey mouse outfits

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have gone back to using my old now tv box ( the small one) and it seems to be working fine. I also have VM broadband. There is clearly a problem with the Now smart boxes. Might be a solution  for some.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't worry, it isn't you. The Now app streaming on the roku right now is awful on mine too. Initially had the Lost Connie tion message come up (only relating to Now TV itself)  and since then this morning I've only been able to connect under the poorest of SD streams. So bad I cannot even read the ticker writing at the bottom of Sky Sports News. Used Now Tv for years and they have been a lot better the last 18 months or so probably just a hiccup. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi
I’m getting this exact same thing and was looking to post on this same issue!
You’re not the only one and it’s ruining my viewing.
IPlayer seems to work for me, is it the same for you?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I haven't watched anything yet on iPlayer - just running a programme now - so far so good.  My daughter was watching YouTube earlier and had no problems either !!!

Are you running thro Virgin ?

I've tried everything in your link schnapps apart from manually adjusting my data settings, but I don't see what this will achieve - but, to eliminate everything, I will do it !!  I'll report back if it makes any difference.

It would appear its a fault with the box itself but nobody from NOWTV is either owning up to the glitch or giving advice on how to stop it happening !!!

10minutes into watching a programme thro iPlayer and no loss of connection Smiley Mad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes running through Virgin.
I’ve tried sending nowtv a message but for some reason the message isn’t sending 🙄
Anonymous User
Not applicable

We watched a full hour episode thro BBC iPlayer - not a single problem.  Tried to watch Delicious thro Sky One catch up - 32 seconds in and "Internet connection has been lost" Press OK and it takes you back to the begining - continue watching and it drops again and takes you back to a different part but nowhere near where you were so you have to ffwd thro to where you were and so on and so forth !!!!  I then watched a random 30min episode of Inbetweeners thro All4 app and this kept losing connection for split seconds (about every 2 or 3 minutes) but instead of taking me back to the menu, it continued from where it cut off !! Then went into the Now TV programmes and watched Fox - again, less than a minute into viewing and connection drops and it takes me back into the TV Guide !!!!  Just trying to watch an episode from a box set on Sky One - get thro about 2 or 3 minutes and connection gone again only this takes you back to the menu and you have to go from the beginning again !!  

Looks like I've bought a Freeview box that I can watch YouTube on !!!!  What an absolute joke !!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A further update .........................

I have just pulled the ethernet cable (again) and tried to connect thro my phone - guess what? connected straight away and I have just watched 30 uninterupted minutes of Sky Sports News thro the App !!!

Now I am even more confused !!

Come on NOW TV - what the hell is going on ?