cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just gone LIVE today and disappointed with the speed!

Hello.

I went live with NOW Broadband (Fab Fibre upto 38Mbps)  today just after 5.00pm.

But I am not happy with the download speed. I have just come to NOW after 18 months with PLUSNET (upto 38mb fibre) and my speed has been  consistently

over 32Mbps for the whole 18 months - sometime I would get speeds as high as 36Mbps.

Here is a screen grab of a speedtest done today at 4.09pm ( less than an hour before the switch to NOW)

The speeds I have been getting since the switch to NOW is 25Mbps!

This is NOT on wifi (I DONT USE wifi) this is via an ethernet cable direct from the NOW Hub.

here is a screengrab done at 7.30pm

Why the big diffrence in speed. Any reason why I should not expect to get a simalar  speed  to the one I have been geting from plusnet for the past 18 months?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Here is the chrome speedtest:

Just checked your speeds on our side it seems to be a max throughput of 26Mb. I'm gonna run a few tests over the next few hours and send it off to our network team to see if we can get it back to normal. Very rare occurance this happens so hopefully we can get it sorted very soon @Anonymous User 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

This help article does say that the broadband speed fluctates for 10 days before everything should settle down. 

Maybe keep monitoring the broadband speed over this period.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-day

This guide explains how to measure your access line speed between the local telephone exchange and the nowtv hub router.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/broadband-speeds-explained

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I undestand the speed can only go one way over the 10 day period and that is down. It starts off as high as it is possible then it could drop over the following 10 days? It does say in the link you posted:

"Your connection might be slower after 10 days if your line can’t maintain a reliable connection at a faster speed"

But, back to my original question: Is there any reason why I should not expect to get similar download speeds to the one I was getting from Plusnet over the 18 months I was with them?

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I undestand the speed can only go one way over the 10 day period and that is down. It starts off as high as it is possible then it could drop over the following 10 days? It does say in the link you posted:

"Your connection might be slower after 10 days if your line can’t maintain a reliable connection at a faster speed"

But, back to my original question: Is there any reason why I should not expect to get similar download speeds to the one I was getting from Plusnet over the 18 months I was with them?

There's no real reason @Anonymous User I'll check this thread tomorrow. Can you update me on the speed when your free tomorrow? Thanks. It should improve and hopefully the speeds are up to your usual standards very soon.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.

There has been no change in my speed today. Here is a grab of a speedtes I did just before noon:

It is still coming back at 25Mbps - I would normally expect to see a minimum result of 32Mbps.

Here is a grab  of  my sign up page to NOW which also suggest a speed of between 31 - 40Mbps:Many Thanks.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

There has been no change in my speed today. Here is a grab of a speedtes I did just before noon:

It is still coming back at 25Mbps - I would normally expect to see a minimum result of 32Mbps.

Here is a grab  of  my sign up page to NOW which also suggest a speed of between 31 - 40Mbps:Many Thanks.

@Anonymous User Thanks for the screens 🙂 You are 100% within your right to leave contract as the speeds ar enot advertised. It could be a setitng on the router. Let me have a look and see if i can get anything done. You have nothing downloading on the network while doing the speedtest i assume yeah?

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User Thanks for the screens 🙂 You are 100% within your right to leave contract as the speeds ar enot advertised. It could be a setitng on the router. Let me have a look and see if i can get anything done. You have nothing downloading on the network while doing the speedtest i assume yeah?

Also, can you just type speedtest into Google Chrome and use that to compare? Thanks 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for the reply .

Yes. There is NO OTHER internet activity going on  when I do the speedtests.

Many Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Just checked your speeds on our side it seems to be a max throughput of 26Mb. I'm gonna run a few tests over the next few hours and send it off to our network team to see if we can get it back to normal. Very rare occurance this happens so hopefully we can get it sorted very soon @Anonymous User