cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unable to register nowtv stick

Hi 

Really struggling here, but will start at the beginning.

Had the idea to buy a NowTV stick as a Christmas gift for my father and purchase the 12 month pre paid movies & entertainment passes with it. Created the account on the PC and bought the passes, all works well on the PC. My account has Cinema & entertainment until December 2020

Then purchased the stick and attempted to pair. Set up as instructed & using the cable provided all was well until I add the 6 digit code. I get the "Oops something went wrong at our end message"

Just completed my 3rd session of live chat. Tried the register the stick at 2 different houses and 4 different internet connections but still the same. Live chat number 2 suggested my stick was faulty so purchased another from from a different store and still the same. Today's advice is to buy a third stick!

The live chat don't seem to agree but I think there's an issue with redeeming passes that come bundled with the stick when I have active passes of the same content. There are other posts about this or something very similar here without a resolution I can see.

Can anyone advise on what I should do now?

Any help would really be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What i would try is switch off the power on the stick and then reboot the stick again, then hopefully it will generate a new six digit activation code.

Then if you are a UK customer, use the link below to type in the code.

https://www.nowtv.com/gb/tv 

This time try using your browser in either a Private Window / Incognito mode to see if you can get past the Oopps message.

Should that not work try a different internet browser with it's adblocking software switched off or try another device with an internet browser on it when entering the code.

Also if using a VPN on your Router / internet browser device try switching this off as well.

If you are a Republic of Ireland customer then make sure that you purchased the stick from Eire and not the UK where from my above link remove the gb and type ie in the url address.

The only other thing i could suggest trying (not sure if it's practically possible in your case) is to take the stick to a family members or friends house and try setting up the stick from there and if successful then reconnect the stick on your wifi network & television.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the prompt reply Schnapps. I'm in the UK and tried all of the below albeit not in that order.

Different houses, different internet connection and onto my 2nd brand new stick with the same message.

I'm tempted to return this stick and buy the 4k box. My father won't need the 4k but at least it doesn't come with any passes and it will eliminate this potential problem.

Cheers

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Just to comment that I have more than once obtained a new Stick, and successfully added the Pass on it to an existing account with an existing pass of the same type.

If the existing pass has less than a month to run, it will be added to follow that pass; if it has more than a month , then it will go and live at the top of My Account/Passes & vouchers, from where you can Redeem the Pass(es) once there is less than a month to go on the running Pass.

This mechanism was specifically designed to cover this eventuality with auto-loaded passes from Sticks.

We might wonder if the issue here is with this mechanism having a problem with the 12-month length of the existing passes you have though?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB

I'm guessing the same. I've just gave my father our nowtv box that was rarely used to make use of the 12 month pass. I was about to try the 4k option but despite not being advertised, this also comes with complimentary passes.

If there is a conflict between bundled passes and a 12 month pass on an account fair enough.

My issue is the support. The online chat is poor. Worse than any mobile phone or utility company I've ever dealt with. Pleasant enough but they would have me buy a third brand new device rather than entertain the idea that there maybe a conflict in the way I've made the purchase.

I'm seeing the whole "nowtv community" thing a little differently now. The product is so-so but fills a hole in the market. Why spend money on a comprehensive support system when the users are encouraged to sort out their own issues 😋

Happy New year all.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, there’s a lot wrong with NowTV support, and I often feel like a bandaid on a broken arm 😛

Thing is though, that NowTV has to be a deliberately second-string operation; the hole in the market it’s intended to fill is for those who want Sky content, but won’t ever buy the whole Sky dish and running subscription thing.

Make NowTV too attractive, and it will start to cannibalise the mainstream Sky  subscriber base; and that mustn’t happen.

But I could certainly wish that the limitations were expressed only in the actual service - HD-ready, (or now HD on most devices for most channels for most subscribers, at extra cost), but never 4K/HDR - and not in the support.

Because, paradoxically perhaps, NowTV is a much less straightforward option than regular Sky, and I suspect that the support demands of NowTV are much higher, per capita, than for regular Sky.

And then the Community could be the social place that NowTV seem to want it to be, where we could all kick back and discuss the actual content of the programmes, instead of how to get the bl**dy things in the first place.

And not triage for, and a signpost to, Live Chat, which we mostly are, wearily explaining for the umpteenth time that “the Nowbot isn’t Live Chat, the thread called Live Chat isn’t Live Chat, we can’t really help you here because you need to get onto Live Chat, and since the last person to post in this thread also wanted to get on to Live Chat, you will find that the directions to Live Chat you seek are in the posting directly above the one you just made”.

Usually 😈

Happy New Year!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Use the remote to access the settings and do a system update. Had the same problem, couldn’t activate my stick. Did the update and worked 1st time. On the remote press 

home x 5

fast forward x 3

rewind x2 

this will take you to the settings menu