cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MY19
Advocate

Now TV stick - Can't run app

I have been trying to set up a Now TV stick that I previously was using. It seemed to be okay and then I went to access the Disney+ app but it said I needed to do a software update. I proceeded with the update but when it started back up I get the message:

Can't run app

'Now Homescreen' could not be run because it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please check your network connection and try again.'

The message has the options 'Check network' or 'Cancel' if I press either, nothing happens and I get a black screen.

I have tried usual troubleshooting methods of turning off/on the tv and NowTV stick, restarting my internet, trying the software update again and factory resetting the stick. Each time I still get the same message. I tried contacting the live chat and he recommended another factory reset and logging in with my username rather than email but when I get to the end I still get the same message. The chat got cut off and now I am unable to get through to anyone else. Has anyone else had the same problem and managed to get it fixed?

46 REPLIES 46
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MY19 

Out of curiosity are you encountering also an issue with the YouTube App ?

Where four other NOW forum members have experienced problems using the NOW Stick with both the Disney + App and YouTube App.

MY19
Advocate

Hi @schnapps 

It was the first time I have used the stick in a while and I only clicked on Disney+ before it asked me to do the software update but since the software update I can't access any apps (or anything else really - I can only get to the page where the factory reset/software update is). Prior to the software update the main NowTV homepage was loading and I could see all the apps. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MY19 

Have you tried a reboot on your Router (edit - I see you have tried that already).

Other than that, try another factory reset and if you have another television in the home, maybe temporary hook up the Stick to another TV and when going through the setup process again after the factory reset maybe try both the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi bands if you have a dual band Router.

FergalB
Advocate

I have the exact same problem and cannot fix it. I’ve tried everything including a new stick! I have reported it but no reply yet. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MY19 @FergalB 

I doubt this has any bearing, but just in case NOW are blocking unknown IP addresses or IP address locations reported outside the UK when attempting a NOW software firmware update perhaps try either a full factory reset on your Router (disable a VPN if using one on your Router) or unplug the power in your Router for around 20 minutes.

FergalB
Advocate
Thanks will try unplug router for 20 mins. I don’t use VPN on router.
FergalB
Advocate

Tried this but no progress I’m afraid. Thanks for suggesting. 

Noods
Advocate

Same issue here got a NowTV stick for Christmas and have hit this issue. Tried all the usual things suggested in other threads, force software update, reset stick, reboot rooter, try different TV fir set up. Any help to get past this would be gratefully received.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @MY19 @FergalB @Noods 

If you have mobile internet data on your smartphone, you could try temporarily using the phone has a Wi-Fi hotspot with the Stick to see if the latest Software version uploads and the main NOW home screen reappears on the Stick before swapping back onto your Home Wi-Fi network.