Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart Box setup without bank

This question has probably been asked ad-nauseum

I apologise, but I cant find a definitive answer

I needed something to plug into a TV, which is 1080p display but has only a SD tuner, to give me HD TV

Curry’s told me that the NOW TV SMART BOX would do the job

I bought it, tried to get it up and running but it keeps insisting that I create an account with them and give them my bank details, which is not going to happen

The box it comes in has the following information displayed very prominently:-

“The latest and best shows without a contract”

“60+ channels, including up to 15 in HD”

“pause and rewind live tv”

“SUPER EASY SET-UP, NO INSTALLATION (their caps not mine)

Simply plug in the box and start watching instantly” (my emphasis)

“No contract” (again)

So what part of ‘no contract’ and ‘Simply plug in the box and start watching instantly’ don’t they understand????

Could anybody please tell me how to use the facilities, such as HD Freeview, without giving away my banking details?

I suspect that it can’t be done and this box will be back at the store tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

14 REPLIES 14
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Sufficed to say, the term 'no contract' is very different to the term 'no subscription'. In order to get any NOW TV product, up and running you have to take out a 'no contract' subscription (the kids service would do) and provide credit/debit card detail. 

All of which you can cancel at any time during your free 14-day trial period. And contine to use the NOW TV boxes 'non subscription' services. Such as the DVB-T/T2 (Freeview) channels and catch-up services.

Cheers

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @SeeMoreDigital

Hi Mike

Just to emphasize SMD's point, with the Now TV box you don't have to pay for the Now TV service if you don't want to, you can continue with all the free apps/channels, freeview and catch up services on offer.  

However, you must first add your credit or bank card to register yourself on the Now TV system, and if you cancel your free 14 days period, say within 5 - 9 days to be safe, no money will be taken from your account and you can continue to use the box without any further problems.

The Now TV service will always be an option you can activate in the future, should you choose to do so, but you are under no obligation to use it, unlike a contracted service which you have to pay for whether you use it or not.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies but I think you are missing the point

Let me try to make it clear....

I do not want anything further from Now TV than the box I have purchased to allow me to watch 1080 HD TV on a 1080 TV which only has an SD tuner

I do not want anything from Sky... No Movies, No Sport, No Entertainment, No Kids programmes.

I just want what was advertised and which I purchased.

It is a very simple concept. Nobody is having my bank detailsj ust so that I can use the box as described on the packaging

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User,

Sufficed to say, the term 'no contract' is very different to the term 'no subscription'. In order to get any NOW TV product, up and running you have to take out a 'no contract' subscription (the kids service would do) and provide credit/debit card detail. 

All of which you can cancel at any time during your free 14-day trial period. And contine to use the NOW TV boxes 'non subscription' services. Such as the DVB-T/T2 (Freeview) channels and catch-up services.

Cheers

Hi @Anonymous User 

@SeeMoreDigital is not entirely correct. It is correct that you need, and nowTV account for the box to work, but you don't actually require a NowTV pass for the box to work. All you actually require is a NowTV account which is regarded as being fully active. A now TV account would be regarded as fully active. If there is a valid payment method on file. You need to have a valid payment method on file for age verification purposes.  

In theory you should be able to create an account without signing up for a pass. Although I'm not entirely sure what the process would be for getting a NowTV account without a pass, so perhaps what @SeeMoreDigital has suggested above is the best course of action. Just remember to cancel pass immediately. You can do that using the link at the bottom of this post . Once you have completed the signup process

Visa (includes Visa debit) and MasterCard provides a facility which allows NowTV to verify the age of an account holder. Using this facility. NowTV are able to perform an over 18 yes or no check.  Due to the fact that NowTV is a paid  subscription service and that age certificates placed on content in the UK are actual law rather than guidelines like they are in the US  nowTV have to take reasonable steps to verify the age of account holders . I believe this is a legal requirement in the UK.

https://account.nowtv.com/passes

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6  Unfortunately the sign-up process has changed slightly from the good old days. All sign-up routes now need you to choose either a free trial, offer or purchase, so you can't just enter card details to validate the account anymore.

Going back to Mike's original question, it's not possible to set up the box without a NOW TV account, and it's not possible to sign up for an account without giving card details.

I think we can appreciate the frustration someone might face if the only reason they want the box is to get Freeview - comparing the experience to buying a dedicated set-top box you wouldn't expect to be asked to sign up for something before you can use it.

Unfortunately if signing up for a NOW TV account is out of the question, the best thing to do is probably to return it and purchase a dedicated Freeview HD set-top box instead. Might be a bit more expensive though.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy

Yup,  well sorry  messrs  Murdoch and Darroch and all the other theives, looks like I will exchange for a Manhatten box.

btw, just had a great conversation with the Indian/Mexican/Malaysian/Arab on 'Chat Help'

First half of conversation was obviously computer controlled and then........

...........If you are going to pretend to be English then............  learn the damn language

Good grief

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Well, I was sympathetic with your point until that last comment.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well

My wife is Eastern European

My son-in-law is Muslim

My brother's partner is both black and gay  

So............................If you want to pretend to be English...... learn the damn language

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us here at NOW TV regarding the purchase of your NOW TV Smart Box.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to the packaging of the Box, but I'm afraid as mentioned by follow contributors a NOW TV account is required to use the Box. 

I do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

As this topic has been issued with an answer, this topic will be closed to new replies and some comments may be removed. 

Please adhere to the NOW TV Help Forum - rules of the road and if you have any further questions please feel free to get back in touch. 

Karl