cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot connect to wifi with password for Virgin Hub

I have a Sumsung smart tv, 2014.  Bought a Now box, mainly for Sky Atlantic programmes. Trying to set it up.  I have a good wifi connection but when I am asked to put in the password to my Virgin Hub router, it is not being accepted.  I ahve treid various possible passwords- default etc.  But nothing is working. I cannot get further into the process of connecting with this problem.

Anyone have any ideas.

By the way, my Virgin Tivo box is connected to HDMI 1 socket.  With the Now box, I have to go to Source and turn tv on to HDMI 2 to get a connection to the Now box.  Not sure if this is relevant.

13 REPLIES 13
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Just-so-you-know... All the devices in your household that connect to your WiFi router will have exactly the same WiFi password.

Meaning, the password you used to connect your 'smart' phone and/or 'smart' television to your WiFi router, your NOW TV box will require the exact same one 😉

Cheers

Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User,

Just-so-you-know... All the devices in your household that connect to your WiFi router will have exactly the same WiFi password.

Meaning, the password you used to connect your 'smart' phone and/or 'smart' television to your WiFi router, your NOW TV box will require the exact same one 😉

Cheers

@SeeMoreDigital  on Virgin that is not entirely accurate.  You can have up to 6 passwords to reach same router 2ghz, 2ghz guest 1, 2 ghz guest 2, 5ghz, 5ghz guest 1, 5ghz guest 2 all of which could be different and have differing levels of privacy or connection restrictions.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Wow @4268.... I wonder how many people do that (especially on this forum)?!

My Virgin router is located within a foil insulated brick cupboard and is too far away to provide a viable WiFi signal to any of my devices. That said, I personally prefer to connect all my media playback devices using a physical ethernet cable. And on the rare occasions when I need a WiFi signal I use a tiny TP-Link TL-WR702N dongle 😉

I loath WiFi... Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will buy an ethernet cable tomorrow.  So frustrated with the whole business!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

May seem like a stupid question.  My Virgin Hub is in another part of the house too.  How do you get an ethernet cable from the Now box to the router?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

May seem like a stupid question.  My Virgin Hub is in another part of the house too.  How do you get an ethernet cable from the Now box to the router?

You might not be able to as every house is different!

That being said, 'powerline' ethernet adaptors also offer a much more stable and reliable video streaming experience than WiFi.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

You might not be able to as every house is different!

That being said, 'powerline' ethernet adaptors also offer a much more stable and reliable video streaming experience than WiFi.

As @SeeMoreDigital has mentioned above, Powerline Adapters are the way forward. I have my PC, 2 PS4's and a YouView box all connected using Powerline Adapters. Makes everything a lot smoother and hassle free. I have these ones in the house, plug and play, no real set up involved: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734

Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User  are you using 2ghz or 5ghz, are you close enough to your router to use ethernet?  Do me a favour press the reset button (under box for smart box) or pin hole for black box on your box for 30 seconds until it says lets get started.  

If you can plug in an ethernet cable to the box,  select Wired connection and set up new wired connection.  For Wifi select wifi and then add your router password.  try both 5ghz and 2ghz if one won't work.  If neither work in a new tab of you internet go to http://192.168.01 and log in with the details on the bottom of your router.  You can then check if the system is blocking devices  go to advanced and have a look at whether it is allowing all devices.  If it set to MAC Filtering of sevices then simply add the MAC address from your box to the allowed list.  Go down to private network on your box and the MAC address will be displayed.  

The HDMI ports will make no difference.  I have same set up as your TiVo in HDMI 1 and Now box in HDMI 2 (well to be accurate Now box and Amazon box via HDMI switcher in HDM 2).  For info movies work out cheaper on Now than Virgin and Iplayer is a lot more responsive on the  Now box.  I personally find for Sky 1, Fox, Sky Living catchup and on demand the Now box is easier to navigate than the TiVo.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will buy an ethernet cable tomorrow.  Do not want to have to retune all my devices by resetting the Hub.  Am a bit older and not as quick on the uptake!