cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android set-top box won't let you view Now TV via HDMI

When Now TV was being tested on Android, I was one of the Guinea-pigs to test the new service. I really like Now TV and own already own 4 set-top boxes. The problem is finding a device that can host all the TV apps out there, like MUBI and Amazon (sorry). One of the set-top boxes is a Rolu 3, which gives me more choice of what to install but it still doesn't cover what I want. So, I bought an Android set-top box. After all, I've used Now TV on Android devices many times before, right?

After installing Now TV, which seemed to work, I set up a new Now TV account, and signed on with them. Now TV starts without so much as a complaint, so imagine my surprise when I try to watch a TV show and I get told I can't use an HDMI cable. Well, it's a set-top box with no display. How else would I be viewing it? You allow Now TV and Roku devices to use HDMI, so what's the problem? I appreciate it's due to licensing, but really. Couldn't the Now TV app have warned me about viewing over HDMI before I set the account up?

A disappointing waste of time, effort and money. 😞

1 REPLY 1
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Its not the HDMI that's causing the playback issue, it's that NowTV does not officially support these Android TV boxes.

Only mobile phones or tablets work on the Android platform with the NowTV app which must have the following specifications in the guide linked below. 

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Android-devices