cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NorthE
Advocate

Subtitles

I have just tried watching the well reviewed new series “The Diplomat”, but discover that there are no subtitles available, either on live TV or catchup on NOW, how can this be in today’s world?  Other series, including Person of Interest also do not have subtitles. How is it that some series have subtitles and others do not?  Many viewers like myself need subtitles to understand the programmes. Competitors, like Amazon and Netflix, while not perfect, offer nearly 100% coverage, for the same cost as NOW entertainment.  

12 REPLIES 12
RoyB
Legend

@NorthE 

Nothing has changed where?

I understand subtitles are now available on programmes on the Now app on YouView boxes, wherever they are available on the Now app on other platforms.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

I believe @NorthE is referring too no subtitles support on Alibi content on Demand when using a NOW Entertainment Membership across any NOW supported playback device.

Where Alibi live streams offer subtitles on the majority of the live content broadcasted on the live Alibi channel feed on NOW.

Here's a similar discussion taken from the Sky Community forum in the linked thread below.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Stream/No-subtitles-on-Playlist-or-Watch-from-Start/m-p/4537174 

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps 

He is indeed - the useful new feature of ‘In response to’ provides a clickable link to the specific posting being replied to, which is not always clear from the context, and bears out your belief.

My aim though, given your several historical mentions in this thread of the Now app on YouView boxes not supporting subtitles on On Demand programmes, was to ensure that anyone reading through the thread was made aware that this is no longer the case.

Something I have just double-checked with ‘The Gilded Age’; though it needs the usual Now approach of pause/select speech bubble, rather than the YouView approach of just pressing SUB.

Except, alas, for Alibi programmes which still don’t provide them On Demand for YouView boxes to show; we would have dearly loved subtitles on Dark Winds 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.