cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: New Apple TV version 4 support

I agree the NOW TV app for Apple is poor and with the recent (and ongoing problem with Sky Sports 1 crashing) it does seem to indicate that support for Apple TV is effectively over. To be fair to NOW TV, the development of other UK based TV apps on Apple has been slow i.e. no All4, ITV Hub, My5 etc. This is a real shame because the Apple Box is a great piece of kit and imo far superior to Roku boxes. 

It is important that if NOW TV are not serious about supporting Apple TV this should be made clear, given they still advertise it is a supported system and customers are paying good money to receive a poor service.

This post has been archived

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

Highlighted
Scholar

Hi Karl, I'm confused as to why you can't say anything about updates to the Now TV app on Apple TV 4. I spoke with your second tier support team a week or so ago and they confirmed, without giving a timescale, that there is definitely an update on the way:

“There is [an update coming], but I'm afraid I can't specify a timescale. We're certainly not ignoring [Apple TV], I know it can feel like that but it's a popular platform and updating it is a priority.”

The support person implied that a bug fix update would probably come prior to any more substantial updates.

I don't know why you are not in a position to give this kind of update but, clearly, others are. It is this kind of reassurance that makes a real difference. It would be really helpful to customers if Now TV were more upfront. 

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

Highlighted
Expert

I think it's funny the current Apple TV 4 app is almost a year old now, with ZERO updates...

I would actually pay for more passes if it was easier to find content and see what I was previously watching (My TV).

I find it hard to find content easily and watching live TV is a pain, flicking in and out of the text menu (which doesn't usually reflect the current now/next).

Why isn't the iOS app a universal app as that is updated, and universal Apple TV/iOS apps are supported by Apple.

Do they want my money is the question?

Highlighted
Scholar 2

Any update on getting Sky Sports 1 fixed?

Highlighted
Scholar 3

I really feel Now TV needs to start making some sort of firm statement about the app development for Apple TV?  

This is has gone on far too long.  

Highlighted
Scholar 3

This is really messed up and good example of the state your Apple TV app is in. It's now suggesting that this Vice TV show is a kids show!  (See attached photo)

Sorry to to be so annoyed but when will NOW TV reply to the problems with this app and do we need to start going public on social media or speaking to trading standards or consumer affairs programmes to get some help. 

Highlighted

The guy at the 2nd support office was probably making it up to get you off their case. The quote you gave looks very much like pre constructed standard txt, a template.
They probably use the same one for all complaints about lack of updates and just change the name on it.
I've email, got no response. Escalated, got no response. Tweeted, got no response. No I'm going much, much higher, something tells me I'll get a response this time.
Good luck guys. Hope you all hear something soon.

Highlighted
Expert

It's interesting to see how slowly, one by one, all the old Apple TV 3 apps which were lazily ported to the Apple TV 4 are being replaced by native tvOS apps.  Not everyone creates a masterpiece, but they're all a big improvement over the ugly, bare bones , and slugglish affairs which were ATV 3 apps.

Now TV and YouTube are two last high profile apps which have yet to be updated. YouTube is not really a surprise, given the hatred between Apple and Google, but Now TV is something of a mystery. Sky have their crippled Roku boxes to push of course, but they don't handicap their Xbox One or PS4 Now TV apps at all, in fact they just updated the Xbox One app last week. 

Why do Sky treat paying Apple TV subscribers so poorly? What have we ever done to warrant such terrible service? We pay the same as everyone else, but get a far worse user experience. The cost of porting the Roku Now TV app to tvOS would be trivial, especially as Sky already have some iOS programmers on staff or at least easily accessable. tvOS apps are famously easy to code, and it's even possible to use one of the script based templates Apple provide to throw together an app in a matter of hours. Such a lazy aproach is a big compromise of course, but the results are still superior to what we're given now.

I doubt we'll ever get an answer or the app re-write we need. I just use Now TV on my Xbox One now. It's light years ahead of the Apple TV app in every way, which is ironic given how cumbersome the Xbox One UI is in general.

Highlighted

They've made a few tweaks but nothing noticeable. Added All4 to it, but that's only got about 6 shows, what's that all about? Added the other sports passes finally, then added the kids section. It's just been money making changes to boost profits. So disappointed they won't improve the user experience. It's probably due to having to hand a chuck of the subscription to Apple if people subscribe through iTunes. Less profit for them so they do the least development on that platform. In other words, back of the queue for development as we don't give them as much money. Might change given apples relaxation on how big of a slice they take from subscriptions (reduced from 30% to 10%).
If they put a lot of work into the UI they would save money in the end as new pay TV customers would avoid costly Sky and opt for NowTV. No costly set top boxes, no satellite dish, no engineer to fit it, no call outs for hardware faults. It's a win win. Customers will get the same benefits to. Had to take a day off work and wait 2weeks for Sky instillation. Where as with NowTV, download the app, subscribe, 2mins v 2weeks and a days leave. No brainer really, but they don't advertise this or use it to there advantage against BT or Virgin. Buggers belief really.

Highlighted
Expert 3

00010 WELCOME TO THE NOW TV EXPERIENCE ON APPLE TV...[CRLF]

Smiley Sad

0 Thanks