cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cal70

Contract ended but didn’t receive an email, can I contact via email to sort. Been charged double

I didn’t receive an email advising my contract was ending and now been charged £48 instead of £26. Has anyone else had an issue

13 REPLIES 13
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Cal70 

You will need to call the broadband team to renew your contract. Make sure to be signed in to see the number.

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/renewing-my-contract

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive just had this issue. was billed 23.50 per month, then received an email saying it will continue at 23.50 per month if i do nothing. however at the bottom of this contract it says my 20 pound discount will not be applied. so really, i will be charged 23.50 + 20. extremely misleading as the email states "Do nothing and continue with your existing membership for £23.50 a month"

Ive now cancelled my membership. I wont pay to get scammed 

Jayach
Elite 3

I suspect it really does mean continue at £23.50 a month. I think the note at the bottom is so you don't expect to get a discount on your new "out of contract" price.

Certainly that is how it has worked for many people in the past.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

What sort of “really” bungs on another £20 a month?

I would want to know what OfCom says about this, maybe even the ASA….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB 

I think it depends on how you read it.

"at the bottom of this contract it says my 20 pound discount will not be applied"

Saying you will not be applying a discount, doesn't mean applying a surcharge.

I think it means, up till now @Anonymous User has been on a contract for £43.50, with a discount of £20.00.

Now the contract has ended, he is being given the opportunity to continue with the same payment, but without the discount. And not in a contract, so could leave at any time.

@Anonymous UserHave you been informed just what your next payment will be? I believe you can view it in your account.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"I think it means, up till now @Justin97 has been on a contract for £43.50, with a discount of £20.00." 

@Jayach this is correct. But I'm just complaining that the email is very misleading. You really have to be careful. Gmail clips off the bottom of the email which mentions the £20 discount will no longer be applied. It's only when you open it fully in a new window that it shows this. And why would anyone do this when at the very top of the email it says it will continue at £23.50 per month. Most people will just read this and think nothing more of it. Very sneaky, the discount removal should be mentioned at the start of the email under the "if you do nothing" section. 

Regardless, I've now cancelled my now TV membership and won't be using them again 

And the new bills would have been £43.50 a month. They tried to get me onto a new 12 month contract but I'm moving abroad soon. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Jayach 

I often read posters complaining that they are being, or have been, deceived by a supplier, when the supplier is a huge national or international company who you would think would not want to make the small gains that the deceit would bring, at the large cost to them in reputational damage.

And usually, the poster has misunderstood or misinterpreted what has been said.

But here, I can see only that Now is doing exactly what they are being accused of 😢

One hopes that these emails are the work of a misguided employee, or a small unit, and higher management will intervene to have them reworded.

But there really is no excuse for this.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've since reported the email to the advertising standards agency. If anyone is or has had the same issues, I'd recommend reporting it to the ASA to expose NOW TV and get some justice. If enough people do this then there'll be some actions taking against now TV.  It's unacceptable. 

ford66
Advocate

@Cal70 Exactly same happened to me.  I’ve been with Now for 4 years, every year until the last when my contract was ending I was sent an email to let me know and give me new offers.  My contract ended Oct 2023 and I didn’t even realise until today that it had ended and they had increased my payments from £21 to £36 per month - unfortunately I don’t check bank statements.  Now claim they sent 3 reminder emails in Sept 2023, I rarely delete emails yet there is no sign of any emails in inbox, spam or trash.  I spoke to them but how can you prove that an email wasn’t sent or received?  I used to really rate Now but this has really annoyed me.  They have offered a new deal at £29 but I still feel ripped off.  The broadband was not great but for £21 including anytime calls I could forgive them but I’ve been paying £28 for crap broadband (plus £8 for anytime calls) for months and just putting up with it without realising.  Not happy.