cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv Sign up fails?

Hello

Just a few moments ago my TV exhibited a strange behaviour by freezing and as usual I had to restart the stick for things to get back to normal, suddenly out of nowhere I found nowtv asking me to restart the setup again and got into the set up screen where I added my wifi network and remote set up.

The problem is that I was given a code to activate online when I did enter the code it took me to a payment screen and asked me to put my credit card details to proceed to payment, I wasn't using Now TV subscription services, in fact I was using it to watch Youtube only although sometimes I paid for NowTV but it has mostly been free tool for me to watch other apps.

Now I can't watch anything without paying to complete the new setup, how come this happens and it is a like forcing me to pay to set up the device on my TV?

Does anyone has the answer to this bad experience?

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you signed up to NOW using a new account? As I would assume the payment details would still be present on your pre-existing account.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello

Yes the TV asked me to sign up my details, when signing in it takes me to the payment page but I don't want to subscribe at the moment I just want to run Nowtv on my TV that's all. The way  I used it before is that I bought it and it was all set on the tv without problems, but suddenly yesterday it asked me to reset my details again as if I'm installing it for the first time, but even though a first timer shouldn't be forced to pay unless you are subscribing to the service and in my case I'm not.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Are you signing in to your existing NOW account? Are there existing valid credit card details in place? If not, these are probably required to activate the stick, unless you decide to actually subscribe to any specific NOW Membership then no payments should be taken. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Were you being presented with a QR code to scan?

If so the “cursor/selection” would have automatically been on close, so you just need to OK to close the QR code and this will take you to the home page. Where you scroll all the way to the bottom to see a list of options, one should be “your account” in here is where you log in using your existing account.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Usually with the NOW branded boxes or NOW Sticks if you ever factory reset them then during the initial setup process again you will be greeted with a six digit activation code (not QR scan code) and need to follow the instructions on the television screen.

When the OP purchased the NOW branded device they would have had to give their bank card details and at a minimum start a 7 day free trial (then cancel it straight away) to take advantage of the non NOW Apps such has YouTube for example.

Unless the NOW Stick or NOW box was given to them and the previous owner logged out of the NOW device with their relevant account details (rather than a full factory reset which is the route i would go down myself).

Should you ever factory reset the NOW branded devices and you have asked NOW to remove your personal details off their database or your card has expired then you would unfortunately have to give an up to date bank card and at a minimum start another free trial to get the use of the non NOW Apps again.

So it's not recommended to carry out a factory reset if you don't use the NOW service and don't want to give NOW your personal details again and just want to use Apps such has YouTube for example.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Ah right, thanks for that information. It’s been a while since I’ve used my NOW stick, even then I don’t recall having to set the stick back to factory settings often. So I couldn’t even remember the sign in process. 

That being said obviously it’s easier for us when we have our active NOW memberships! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Yeah if you have an active NOW Membership or your personal details are on the NOW database then following the six digit activation code after a factory reset is usually a doddle (though some customers do seem to have trouble now and again).

The problem lies if your personal details have been removed by request (look how many Anonymous users are now on the Community Forum where they have asked NOW to remove their details).

Also Personally i am not a fan of those QR Scan codes where it seems to confuse existing customers attempting to access the NOW App for the first time.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Absolutely bud, definitely doesn’t help with all the active NOW devices still out there. Wonder when the powers at be will start to decommission all the NOW devices. 

The QR code seems like a good idea, however it being locked to recruiting new customers only just baffles me!

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User Have you managed to reactivate the NOW stick yet?