cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wai

No Service Provided after Moving Home

I moved home and phoned to NOW broadband on December 2023.  NOW broadband told me that no service was provided in my new address and I need to contact new broadband provider informing NOW broadband I have already moved home.  Afterwards, NOW would waive my cancellation fee of contract.  Although, I have already given this message to my new broadband provider, the monthly fee is still deducted from my bank account by direct debit.  Please advise.

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Wai 

You will need to call the broadband team again to sort it out.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Wai 

You should have told Now in good time before you moved.

But you can simply cancel the direct debit with your bank, and even ask for the disputed payments to be refunded to you.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Wai
Good Evening,

Since NOW broadband cannot provide the broadband service in my
new address. I have already informed the new broadband provider liaises
with NOW broadband for my home moving according to the advice of your
colleague by phone. I am not sure whether the new broadband provider has
communicated with NOW broadband afterwards. Nevertheless, I would
terminate the direct debit as per your email on 14 January 2024.

At the same time, I would like to request a refund of £21 monthly payment
accordingly.

Thank you very much.

Kindest regards,

Wai

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Wai 

As explained to you above, this Community is made up of fellow-customers like yourself, and no-one employed by Now monitors it.

You will therefore have to contact Now Broadband directly, by phone or email, to seek your redress.

if you want to phone them, take your pick of:-

0330 041 2518, 0330 041 2462, 0330 332 3050, 0800 759 1213, 0330 041 2473, 0333 759 4816

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Wai 

To echo what @RoyB says, you won't see any staff coming to your aid. See this link.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/help/faqpage/title/what-is-community-for

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

There was no need to tell the new provider about Now. (unless you moved locally, and wanted to retain the phone number)

Also (AFAIK) Now don't use direct debits, they use CPA's (Continuous payment authority) so you can't actually cancel them.

Continuous payment authorities explained | Raisin UK

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

OK yes, CPAs then, the OP has it wrong.

So no clawing back past payments, one of the protections a Direct Debit gives you that a CPA doesn’t.

But going forward, care to explain item 7 in that link you gave then? 😛

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB 

@RoyB 

@RoyB wrote:

But going forward, care to explain item 7 in that link you gave then? 😛

You caught me out there, I hadn't actually read the whole page, I linked to it to save me trying to explain what a CPA is.

So, yes you can cancel it via the bank, however the correct/expected route is via the organisation you gave the authority to.

However they do seem to explain it pretty well, including a link to a form you can use, further down the page.

Quote:

How to cancel a continuous payment authority

To cancel a continuous payment authority and get a refund, you can either contact the company directly or ask your bank. The StepChange website has a free template letter you can use to cancel a CPA. Simply download and send it to the relevant organisation. Do bear in mind that cancelling a continuous payment authority won’t absolve you of your debts; you’ll still need to pay any money you owe.

Asking your bank to cancel a CPA will require them to take action immediately, but they will have to make sure you don’t have an outstanding balance with the company, you haven’t signed up to a fixed term contract, or the payment was unauthorised before they can give you a continuous payment authority refund. 

Under the FCA rulesyour bank must cancel a continuous payment authority if you ask them to do so. However, if further payments are taken after you’ve requested a cancellation, you’re entitled to a full refund (including any interest). If problems persist, write to the complaints department in the first instance. If you’re not satisfied with their response, you can escalate your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

End quote.

It is also on the StepChange site linked to.

Cancelling or Stopping a Recurring Payment or CPA. StepChange