cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why is the sound quality so poor on the iPad version when compared to the PC/MAC?

Sound quality is poor compared to the PC/MAC playback ect. Are you ging to improve the iPad app anytime soon?

124 REPLIES 124
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hilariously, the NowTV people seem to think this is some sort of technical issue. The problem is that you only serve up SD content to iOS devices. This content has ###### terrible audio quality. Stop being simple and fix this issue. 2012 this thread was started. Fix it and I'll subscribe.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've also experienced the absolutely terrible sound on both an iPhone 6s Plus and an iPad 2. Watching the EXACT same content on my Macbook it plays back fine (although quality still leaves a lot to be desired vs for example Amazon Video).

This is purely a sampling issue and is nothing to do with individual technical issues, you're serving content that is too low quality on mobile devices that people often use at home on WiFi anyway. I would argue that even for optimised mobile data its too low quality, its painful on the ears and sounds like its being played through a tin can.

Please fix this, I subscribe to both Entertainment and Movies and am seriously considering cancelling given the awful quality compared to competing services such as Amazon Video and Netflix, the quality of both blows NowTV out of the water.

3 years since this thread was opened and still no better!?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for posting and for being a loyal customer, we do apologise if you're not having the same viewing experience on your iOS device as on other devices. We can appreciate your frustration but I can say that we do work to make improvements when/where we can and this may be something we look into further in the future. We want to evolve as quickly as we can, keep an eye out for any updates.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So this has been an issue since 2012?

This is total BS!

you serve up total crap audio. It is as simple as that. SD or HD has nothing to do with it really, as its a brain dead decision about audio bite rate that someone at Sky has made.

Given the minute bandwidth required for decent quality audio compared to even SD video, this is a crazy bandwidth allocation decision.

As any content creator knows, audio quality is paramount -more so than image quality.

now it's just a burbling mess on the iPad. I have not watched anything on the iPad for more than the initial 2 minutes.

Eurosport, iPlayer etc all have totally acceptable audio quality.

NowTV has something worse than the worst quality I have heard since 1970.

Can you PLEASE address this issue sometime during  this decade?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello!?

Anybody out there?

Again I tried watching something on the iPad.

Again it was impossible to do so due to the weird effects of chronic bit deficiency in the audio department.  The image looked smashing, but who cares when a symphony orchestra sounds like a toilet flushing!

Honestly, is there a single Sky emplyee with any influence that have ever tried watching a movie on iPad using headphones?

I'm unhappy that iPad watching is now just a joke. And a bad one at that.

Hello!?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is anyone from Now TV actually going to admit there is a problem??
I've just signed up for 5 months entertainment pass and the sound quality on my iPhone 6 + is appalling. My old Nokia 7210 had better sound quality back in 1998!!
This is a problem specific only to Now TV as every other streaming software works fine.
Why can't someone from Now TV grow a set of balls and admit there is an issue and what they are going to do (if anything) to fix it.
I won't be renewing my pass and I will be cancelling my Sky subscription in May when it runs out.
Very very poor customer service.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Sorry for the problems you've experienced.

Can I ask if this is happening with a show or movie in particular? Also, are you listening via headphones, the iPad built-in speakers or some other output device?

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

The sound quality is extremely poor from the the devices built in speaker. I tried using my headphones in the hope it may be better but it makes it far worse.
I also watch via my PS4 and I don't have any issues with sound quality through that.
This is clearly an issue that relates to mobile devices.
As Sky and Amazon fight like cats and dogs I'm unable to watch on my Kindle Fire so I can't comment on that.
The problem exists on my iPhone and also my partners iPad.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'll pass this feedback along to the developers.

Sorry for any problems it's caused.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Rich,

I doubt the developers have made, and are making, decisions about bit rate allocation?

I feel cheated that I cannot watch movies on the iPad. 

At least give the users an option to get the normal NowTV Box (Roku) stream on the iPad, for those that have the bandwidth. The iPad specific stream is broken as it is, and besides, it says nowhere when we pay that if we use iPads the stream will be of such a low quality the it's useless. Or indeed that it will be of any lower quality at all than the standard one.

Since this hasn't changed since 2012, it seems obvious that NowTV don't care one bit about customer complaints.