cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Silverlight - how much longer?

Google Chrome - the most used browser in the UK on laptops and desktops, according to the places that analyse these things - has stopped supporting NPAPI and therefore Silverlight.

Mozilla have now announced that NPAPI support and therefore Silverlight is to be removed from Firefox next year too.

Microsoft have chosen not to support NPAPI and Silverlight in their current new browser, Microsoft Edge.

How much longer are Sky/Nowtv going to go on and on using and requiring NPAPI/Silverlight when even the product's creators, Microsoft, accept and indeed state openly that it is antique technology, buggy as hell, wide open to more and more security breaking exploits, and not fit for purpose on the modern internet?

Will you PLEASE update to something (like HTML5) that is a current standard and supported by all the major CURRENT browsers.

And the fact that I'm just getting error mesages trying to play the first episode of the new season of Arrow in both Firefox and an ieTab in Chrome is just the icing on the cake. Just bite the bullet and switch to a modern RELIABLE technology, Sky. All the terrestrial channels' catch-up streaming services work very reliably for me, it's just Sky - previously with SkyGi, now with NowTV - where I'm constantly frustrated by episodes not appearing for days and/or just error messages instead of what I've settled down to watch.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

IE has not dropped silverlight

Nore has safari… 

Browsers that support silverlight will still exsis.… 

Windows 8-10 do not require silverlight nad gets HD as well only legacy windows <7 does… 

Its only legacy windows and mac that requires silverlight if it comes to 2016 and the TV/movie studios do not agree a solution for Mac they still have safari.

And legacy windows have IE...

HTML5 apps still require HDCP drivers and have the same exact driver issues as silverlight… 

But the other HTML PLAYERS normaly have wording instead of errror numbers now.

snapshot263.png

You can then reboot the computer and the HTML5 players Magicly allow HD, They still have just as many issues With DRM as silverlight does...

Capture.JPG 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any update on HTML5 support in Chrome on Windows 7?  I don't want to upgrade to Windows 8.x / 10 because I still use Windows Media Centre for some free to air channels (much nicer to skip ads).

Using Silverlight in Firefox works but I know Firefox will eventually drop NPAPI plugins and then I'll be left with IE11 I guess...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would also like to know when they will stop using ancient technology, Silverlight, just like Flash, is antiquated now and you as a service provider have to move with the times. Html5 has content protection built in on Google Chrome, which by the way, is the most used browser. Now, are you going to use old technology in an era that is dominated more and more by Html5 tech? 

Move with the times, or get left behind. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Some time in 2017

As long as the browsers still support Silverlight the TV and Flim industry will still enforce the Silverlight DRM requirement contracts...

IE and Safari still support Silver light... on out of date OS'es... including windows 7...

Also the bad GUI and lack of DRM compliance drivers with browser content issues still exsist on HTML5 web solutions were they were not an issue with systems running silverlight plug in only with the HTML5 plugin... Yes fire fox does not have native HTML5 H264..

NowTV had removed some DRM coding because it BLOCKED The Primary HDMI out to monitor as the GPU drivers failed to report the monitors status correctly...

You don't want them to drop silver light only for you to find your GPU does not support the HTML5 DRM do you... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Useful reminder about the HDCP checking in DRM components - currently my broadband is slow enough that SD content  + upscaling to HD TV works best, but last time I ran an HDCP path checking tool (from Cyberlink) it gave various errors, so probably the HD would fail anyway.

Do you know if the HTML5 DRM and HDCP checks are more stringent than in Silverlight?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Useful reminder about the HDCP checking in DRM components - currently my broadband is slow enough that SD content  + upscaling to HD TV works best, but last time I ran an HDCP path checking tool (from Cyberlink) it gave various errors, so probably the HD would fail anyway.

Do you know if the HTML5 DRM and HDCP checks are more stringent than in Silverlight?

Alot more content gets blocked with HTML5 than with silverlight...

HTML5 blocks Mirror mode over HDMI very easy... Silverlight allows mirror mode more offen...

This means HTML5 will not run on secondary displays and will be blocked more offen on HTML5 feeds...