cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using own router and modem (ASUS RT-AC56U & Openreach HG612)

Hi all,

My Super Fibre goes live tomorrow and I'd love to be able to just continue using my current set up...

ASUS RT-AC56U
Openreach Huawei Echolife HG612

..as it'll give me enough network ports where I need them without moving switches about the house etc.

I've had a read on here and a couple of other forums and I know it's doable (just not supported obviously).

I've popped the latest Merlin f/w on my router and now have the option 61 field that I'll need in WAN settings.

From here it looks like I just set Option 61 to routers_wan_mac_address@nowtv|abcd1234 

Having gotten the Now router's WAN MAC address from the web interface.

Some people (here for example) talk about needing to use a start up script on the router. Not sure that's required for ASUS though? And I believe the requirement to use Wireshark is no more.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

There's nothing I need to do to the Openreach modem, for example? I'll restart it I guess, but there's no config changes required?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any helpful pointers. 😀

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chilli2
Elite

I using this combination;

Username : abcdefgh@nowtv

Password: 1234567890abcdef

The evening before the switch I set the router to Sky/MER_VDSL  entered that as username and password ( taken from tp link forum dsl routers) hit save router disconected from plusnet and by the morning was running without a glitch on Now

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jayach
Elite 3

It sounds like you are all setup ready to go. I would suggest connecting the Now router first, as there have been comments on here that it is necessary to activate the account, otherwise you may not be able to login online. (really don't know how true that is)

chilli2
Elite

I just put the details for now on my router (tp link archer vr2800) the night before, which broke the connection with plusnet, woke up and expected to have to faff around with settings etc but it ( the router) had just picked up the connection when it went live, no messing no faffing around with mac addresses from the now router it just came online when the now connection went live , and the now router stayed in its box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Chilli, that sounds great. So the username can just be anything that looks like a MAC address? It doesn’t have to be the Now router’s actual WAN MAC address?

That’s even easier then. 🙂

chilli2
Elite

I using this combination;

Username : abcdefgh@nowtv

Password: 1234567890abcdef

The evening before the switch I set the router to Sky/MER_VDSL  entered that as username and password ( taken from tp link forum dsl routers) hit save router disconected from plusnet and by the morning was running without a glitch on Now

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chilli,

I'm writing this on my new Now connection. 🙂

I woke up early as always and, as you say, the switch had already happened. I just switched my ASUS to Automatic IP and entered the made up credentials and that was it. Router connected.

No entering the real MAC address, no hitting the clone button, no Wireshark, no router scripts, I didn't even reboot the Openreach modem. I guess Now have relented on some of this stuff in the last few years.

Thanks both for the pointers. 🙂

Andy

Jayach
Elite 3

Glad to hear it went well.😀