cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Klaberost
Mentor

Setup delayed repeatedly

I am on my third broadband order, been 4 weeks without internet already, apparently there are delays at Openreach, which is as much as I've been told, I'm set to get another update on the 21st. Has anyone else had issues with Openreach through Now?

"We have reviewed your order today to check its progress and found there is a delay. We have contacted Openreach for a clearer understanding of the delay and will provide you the latest update by 21/09/2023"

I keep getting similar responses without any clarification 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2

It is not just NOW, Openreach are responsible for much of the network service to many ISPs. I suspect that their resources are very much prioritised towards Full Fibre these days, so copper-based services such as the ones NOW offer are beginning to become the poor relations. Stick with it, keep chasing them for updates and console yourself with the thought that you should be entitled to substantial compensation when your service does eventually go live:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/auto-compensation

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
redchiz1
Champion 2

It is not just NOW, Openreach are responsible for much of the network service to many ISPs. I suspect that their resources are very much prioritised towards Full Fibre these days, so copper-based services such as the ones NOW offer are beginning to become the poor relations. Stick with it, keep chasing them for updates and console yourself with the thought that you should be entitled to substantial compensation when your service does eventually go live:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/auto-compensation

Klaberost
Mentor

Thanks for the reply, nice to know it's not just me.

I have my doubts I'll be compensated as I'm yet to have a date even confirmed for when my service should start past the "provisional date"

redchiz1
Champion 2

Look back at your order details, you should have received a go live date. Anything beyond that should be counted. Good luck and keep us posted. 

Jayach
Elite 3

I've no actual proof, but Now do seem to have more problems than other ISP's in dealing with Openreach.

It might have something to do with the whole country now being a "stop-sell" on Openreach FTTC connections with PSTN (public switched telephone network) phone connections. As Now can use Sky connections, where available, it shouldn't affect them, but I suspect it may have something to do with it.

My advice would be to go elsewhere.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach wrote:

My advice would be to go elsewhere.

Why would you advise that without knowing the customer's circumstances? It may be that they prefer to stay on a copper service, limited though it may be. Or that FTTP still simply isn't available in their area. Either way, it is down to Openreach for the time being. 

Jayach
Elite 3

Because it's what I believe and would do in the same circumstances. That's what advice is, they don't have to take it.

As for staying on a copper service, that is unlikely to be an option if FTTP is available at their location,

And yes, I do know both services can be available for a short time until the full fibre availability in the area reaches a certain level.

Edit: And if I'm right and it is to do with the prevision of POTS telephone, going with another ISP using VoIP (or no telephone service at all) won't have that problem

Jayach
Elite 3

@Klaberost 

If you do take my advice, and go with someone else, (and you definately do not have to) please let us know how it goes.

Also, out of interest, what are your circumstance? Have you had broadband at that location before? Do you know if FTTP (Full Fibre) is available there?

Klaberost
Mentor

I moved into rented accommodation so nothing before this, I believe full fibre is available at my address.

Now seemed to imply I'd have the same issue with getting internet regardless of provider but I feel they may just be saying that to try and keep me 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Klaberost 

Outside of Virgin media everyone uses the network owned by OpenReach. So it is highly likely that issues getting set up can happen even with FTTP connections.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help