cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rolandsail
Advocate

Security

I have just signed up to "Now"  broadband and have immediately started to get warning messages of other devices (not my cell) in other parts of the UK logging in, can I change my password etc. Is this common, and are my login details being shared? I may cancel, as this is unnecessary grief, it should be so easy. 

4 REPLIES 4
RoyB
Legend

@Rolandsail 

I get a lot of warning messages from Now, but these relate to devices logging in when I use Now streaming; I don’t even have Now broadband.

The only people who could log on to your broadband are people in WiFi range of your router; it can’t be accessed from other parts of the country. And even those people in range would need to know the unique password for your router, which is on a label stuck under the router.

So are your messages about using Now streaming, or truly about using Now broadband?

If about Now streaming, do they tie up with times that you logged on, at least, even if the locations given for the IP addresses don’t seem very local?

This is what I am getting at the moment, even though it is almost always the same device (this iPad) that is signing on, and though the message says ‘new device’ it actually means new IP address.

I plan to investigate this more thoroughly when it bubbles to the top of my priority list, but I have a lightbulb I need to change first….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB 

I don't know about the iPad, but the iPhone uses randomised MAC (media access control) addresses, that may account for the router thinking they are different devices.

Some Android devices do the same thing.

Rolandsail
Advocate

Hooe it's an energy efficient light bulb, but on the other topic, my worry was that I only signed up for broadband and within the hour people or maybe a Bot were logging in, "NOW " picked it up and warned me, but I haven't received the router so WTF is going on. I have never had this problem with my existing supplier, but let's give it a try.. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@Rolandsail wrote:
I have just signed up to "Now"  broadband and have immediately started to get warning messages of other devices (not my cell) in other parts of the UK logging in, can I change my password etc. Is this common, and are my login details being shared?

As you are not yet on Now. I don't understand just what messages you are getting that are giving you concern?

Can you be a bit more specific?