cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinxB
Mentor

Router problem

On my Now tv router is overheating. For the last few weeks, since the heating is on, maybe overheating. The middle light starts to flash, and the TV is going around and around. So if I open my window, letting all the heat out of the room, with today's gas prices. and cools the router down. And back as it should be. All 3 lights green. I don't know why the box has started this. Since I joined Now tv. Maybe because it's getting on in years. So why has it just started. Is head scratching to me. If anyone can tell me. What to do with it. or I need a new box(router)from Now. Then please let me know. Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2

All routers run warm. Is it in an open space with plenty of air circulating around it, not near any direct source of heat and not under or on any other devices? That being the case, if it is over-heating to the point of failing then you should reach out to NOW support directly for a replacement, give them a call on 0330 332 3050. They won't respond on here. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
redchiz1
Champion 2

All routers run warm. Is it in an open space with plenty of air circulating around it, not near any direct source of heat and not under or on any other devices? That being the case, if it is over-heating to the point of failing then you should reach out to NOW support directly for a replacement, give them a call on 0330 332 3050. They won't respond on here. 

KevinxB
Mentor

Red thanks for getting back to me. It's in the same place as it's always been since joining. Maybe 3-5years. Throughout the seasons. But it's started playing up a few weeks ago now. I've got it on the floor, on top of a small plate. Which does help a touch. With airing it underneath. But it's still happening. Where I put it through the window which cools it down. When it goes wrong. There's 2 green lights. But the middle one flashers, then stop. Then flashing orange. I think it's getting old. But I don't know. If any suggestions you've, you've got the please help 

RoyB
Legend

@KevinxB 

What temperature is the room getting to now? Is the router too near a radiator, as @redchiz1 asks?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
KevinxB
Mentor

Roy it's like I've just sent to Red. It started a few weeks ago. It's in the same position as it's always been in. For 3-5 years. Not a problem. But now having the heating on. It starts to flash orange in the middle one, but a green on each side. It's in the floor ATM on top of a small plate, for airing. But it goes back alright when I've put it through the window to cool down. But it might be overheating because of age. Ta' Roy for your help 

KevinxB
Mentor
Hi again. The router is at it again. Overheating and the middle green light
light, turns to orange and blinking. So I stick it out of the window to
cool down. And back to normal again. It's in the middle of the living room,
on top of a small plate upside down. So air can get to it. It shouldn't be
doing this should it. Any suggestions please. Many Thanks Kevin
redchiz1
Champion 2

Get onto NOW directly using the number I posted earlier and ask for a swap out, they won't respond on here I'm afraid. 

RoyB
Legend

@KevinxB 

You need to look at where the air intake on the router is. If I put my YouView box on a small plate upside down, that would exactly cover the air intake, and leave the feet dangling over the edges of the plate in midair, unable to do their job of lifting the box a little so air can get under it.

I actually put four of those adhesive pads you can get for chair legs under the feet on the box, lifts it a little higher, better airflow.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
KevinxB
Mentor
Hi thanks for getting back to me, on this problem. And that's almost as
I've got it. In the middle of the room though. But can't stay there can it,
it been fine for almost 2 weeks. Then starts back up. So I put it through
the window. A few seconds later back to normal. But why has it started to
do this. It was where I put it for years. And nothing was wrong. But for
some reason it's overheating. And what can I do about it. Or do I need a
new box/router. And where from. Is it for Now tv to sort out for me. I was
hoping for the answers. So would be pleased if you could advise me on it.
Many Thanks Kevin Bailey
RoyB
Legend

@KevinxB 

Which way up is the plate? The important thing is to get the router up where the air can get under it.