cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emrys7
Advocate

Internet

Hello I need to change my internet password so that I can control how much internet access the children have, but not at all technically minded and not sure how to do this. Advice please in simple terms.

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Emrys7 

See this link.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-change-or-reset-my-wi-fi-password

If its to restrict certain content then you want the broadband buddy.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-broadband-buddy

However if you’re wanting to control when they have access to internet in general, the NOW router is basic and won’t let you do it. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Emrys7 

Hi. I’m afraid it’s not simple, going on impossible, to do this with the Now router, which is pretty limited in this and many other respects.

Other routers can do it more easily (as per the current EE adverts, which are making a big thing of this),  but that would involve changing ISP.

To do this staying with Now Broadband (which I assume you are) you will need a new router (which must be a VDSL modem/router) that supports the Sky MER 61 logon protocol, as well as offering the control features you need.

You may need some technical support with this, beyond what we can offer here; have you got a techie friend or local computer shop that can help you?

Oh, and you will have to collect their mobile phones in each night anyway, to stop them using mobile internet instead and watching their data usage skyrocket 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

EE are advertising this as a feature of their broadband/internet , however its a basic  function on most consumer level routers/wifi access points .

ISP supplied routers often have some/most features like this either disabled or not installed as it can add complexity and expense to customer support, and when you have an ISP or an ISP sub brand targeted as no frills/budget things will be cut back to the bone in order to offer ( what appear to be) low prices.

Unfortunatly some of these ISPs also attract customers who have a poor unuderstanding of how things work , confusing things like wifi and internet access, not knowing what ehternet is - and whats possible to make the budget service work better for them, not everyone is in this bracket however.

As for controlling access, as mentioned a fair few consumer routers will do this, for Nows service if you want a one box does it all you need a

modem/router/switch/wifi access point as a minimum - most of these are sold as just routers.

Most of these in turn can fall into two catergories, those with a modem for VDSL/ADSL and those without a modem for cable ( ie virgin) or Fibre to the property services (fttp) also known as full fibre.

The router i use is a TP link Archer VR2800 ( others are availble)

this has something called parentel controls, this can also be called access cntrol, or mac address filtering.

each device that connnects to a network either wifi or ethernet has a unique code called a mac address and this looks something like this 22:24:DC:A6:CF:21 and the router can control when each mac address is allowed acccess trough to the internet under parental controls/mac address filtering/access control ( or whatever)

My router can do this, it also knows what some devices are based on teh mac address - or you can assign a name to each device for example Steve's fire tablet, Sams phone and so on you can then allow, or prevent  the device internet having acccess at certain times , its also possible to boot a device off or on the internet at any time via an app

AS said i use a TP link Archer VR2800 other cheaper models are available, tp link have a wesite where you can see what the router user interface looks llike here: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/emulator/

the app is called tp link tether.

My advice would be to find a router that you want, check it works with Now or Sky, take a look at the user interface to see if it suits your need.

Setting my router up to work with now was as easy it just invovled inputting a generic username and a generic password plugging it in to the phone line and that was it.