cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection drops every few minutes

Just got NOW Broadband to find that my internet drops out every few minutes. Wifi devices such as phones show notifications such as 'Router has no internet access', and even devices such as PC / PS5 connected to the router via ethernet lose internet access as well. It fixes itself quickly but happens again and again, and makes streaming / online gaming a massive headache. I've tried splitting 2.4GHz and 5GHz, restoring the router, applying any updates, using new cabling etc. Also, internet access is completely cut off if using a VPN, and resumes when I disconnect the VPN. I already turned off My Broadband Buddy without any success. Really quite unimpressed. Anyone got any suggestions? I've submitted a complaint already.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just an update for anyone reading this in future. I was advised by NOW Broadband Support that the router doesn't cope well with multiple devices connected to it, and will drop connection for all devices, including ethernet-attached devices if it feels overloaded. I was told that 4 devices is the maximum it's designed for. No, that's not a typo. Yes, 4 devices in 2022. Obviously the kit provided is completely subpar and now my options are to either leave NOW for a better provider, or replace their terrible router with a decent aftermarket one. Thanks @gavs82008 for your suggestions earlier.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AnonymousUser98 

It is possible there is a fault on the line, or with the router you were supplied. However until the 10 days has passed I would avoid rebooting the router. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-days

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

Thanks, I don't think the disconnects are due to testing as I'm well past the initial 10 day testing period now. I'll keep investigating.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AnonymousUser98 

That’s fair enough, if you don’t have it already see the below link for the broadband team number.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

Just an update for anyone reading this in future. I was advised by NOW Broadband Support that the router doesn't cope well with multiple devices connected to it, and will drop connection for all devices, including ethernet-attached devices if it feels overloaded. I was told that 4 devices is the maximum it's designed for. No, that's not a typo. Yes, 4 devices in 2022. Obviously the kit provided is completely subpar and now my options are to either leave NOW for a better provider, or replace their terrible router with a decent aftermarket one. Thanks @gavs82008 for your suggestions earlier.

AkK
Advocate

how do we contact NOW for support? Thanks

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AkK 

If you do a search on the forum there will be endless threads with the phone number for broadband support. 

Anyway here it is in the below link.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

noel
Mentor

I have had this problem for years and when I  brought it up when renewing my subscription at the beginning of this new contract I  was passed th through to the technical side who said we will check it out for me , well after 10 mins of listening to white noise without anyone talking to me I switched my phone offand decided to live with it . I  would leave but we need a landline connection for our calls .