cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Installation of D-Link Dir-878 router

Hi all,

I would like to add this router to my network, with NowTV Hub2. When I connect the ethernet cable from the Now TV router to the "Internet" port on the d-Link, I can't establish a live internet connection. On the d-link manual is said to set the ISP router in "bridge" mode...how do I do that?

Thanks for your help.

10 REPLIES 10
Jayach
Elite 3

You can't, it doesn't have one. However, it should still work, but you will be running with double NAT.

redchiz1
Champion 2

The internet port you mention is effectively a WAN port for an external modem. You cannot connect the Hub to that. If you want to use your D-Link as a wireless access point check the settings for that. And connect the Hub to one of the LAN ports. 

Jayach
Elite 3

I read it that the WAN port they refer to is on the D-Link.

I'm not sure the D-Link has an AP mode.

redchiz1
Champion 2

They didn't refer to a WAN port, they referred to the "internet" port, which as I have pointed out is the WAN port on the D-Link, yes.

Jayach
Elite 3

Ah, I see. You are suggesting they use the D-Link as an access point, even though it doesn't have that mode built in. I'm not sure that is what the OP wants to do, but let's see if they reply with more information.

redchiz1
Champion 2

No idea, why wouldn't it as a router? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks all.

What I want to do is setting up the Dlink router to install a VPN in it, after flashing the firmware with DD-WRT. 

When I connect a cable in the “internet” port of the dlink router, I can’t get the router to connect to internet. Any help? 

redchiz1
Champion 2

It is because it needs an external modem, it is a router only, Either get an external modem, or connect the router to the NOW hub via one of the ethernet ports and see if you can use the D-Link as an access point. Or get a third-party combined modem/router. 

Jayach
Elite 3

You can't install a VPN (or do any router type actions on an access point)

@Anonymous User You can do what you want, but it will, as I said earlier, be running with double NAT.

Probably better to put the DD-WRT on first, otherwise you will be doing all the setting up twice.

IF you connect one of the Now Lan ports to the WAN of the D-Link and configure the D-Link for DHCP on the WAN port it should work. It will get its IP address from the Now router so will become a device on that LAN and then serve its own LAN on its Wi-Fi and LAN ports. That is what running double NAT (Network address translation) means. It can cause problems if you want to run a server and some other function.

Have you any experience with configuring routers? DD-WRT can be a little "techy".