cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hub Two and home network

I joined Nowtv broadband less than a week ago from BT. My home network was working fine, using a TP-link TL-SG1008 Gigabit 8 port desktop switch, but it doesn't now. Can't say for absolutely certain, but it seems too coincidental that the change of provider isn't connected to my problem.

The ethernet ports on the hub work fine when I connect the laptop to them and the switch also seems to be fine - lights are on etc etc. I've tried a few restarts of both, but no joy. I assume it is a compatibility problem of some kind, but I've run out of IT knowledge... Can anyone help? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

To be honest i am a novice at home networking and only have some basic limited knowledge.

With an "unmanaged" Gigabit switch it should be plug and play with no settings needed from what i understand.

My 8 port Trendnet Gigabit unmanaged switch works like a dream on my NowTV Hub 2 router, where i also jumped across from BT Fibre.

I would double check with the model number on your TP Link switch (maybe on the id sticker somewhere on the switch) that there is no "E" on the end of the switch model number which denotes it is a "managed" switch.

If you are getting no joy and somebody with more knowledge on here than me doesn't come up with some further advice.

Then is there anyway you can test your TP Link switch on somebodies else home network (such has a friend or family member) just to prove it works with another router since moving to NowTV Fibre ?

You could also maybe look at using your old BT Router as a WAP with the Hub 2 and utilise the Ethernet ports on the BT HomeHub.

If it was me and i couldn't get the existing TP Link switch working and to avoid all the faffing around i would consider picking up a new unmanaged switch from Amazon or Ebay perhaps a Netgear or Trendnet Gigabit switch.

Also, have a read of this link on the Sky Q Hub forum discussing the limitation with only 2 number Ethernet ports and what options people have done to overcome this.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/Sky-Q-Hub-Only-2-Ethernet-Ports/td-p/2422925

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The reason I believe why your TP Link 8 port Gigabit switch is not working is due to the NowTV Hub Router uses the same IP address has your 8 port Gigabit switch.

Have a read of this link where the Sky Router uses the same IP address as the NowTV Hub which clashes with the IP address on the TP link switch hub. 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=95&t=1628473

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If your TP-link Gigabit 8 port switch is an un managed version, then ignore my post and link above. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi schnapps - thanks very much for your help. I've checked and I believe the switch is 'unmanaged' - I bought it from ebay and found the listing which confirms this in the title! Does this just mean it doesn't have ability for the user to adjust any settings? Don't suppose you have any other suggestions for me? Is it possible I could change the hub settings instead?

Thanks again!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also, I was using broadband with BT and have fibre from Nowtv if that makes any difference!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

To be honest i am a novice at home networking and only have some basic limited knowledge.

With an "unmanaged" Gigabit switch it should be plug and play with no settings needed from what i understand.

My 8 port Trendnet Gigabit unmanaged switch works like a dream on my NowTV Hub 2 router, where i also jumped across from BT Fibre.

I would double check with the model number on your TP Link switch (maybe on the id sticker somewhere on the switch) that there is no "E" on the end of the switch model number which denotes it is a "managed" switch.

If you are getting no joy and somebody with more knowledge on here than me doesn't come up with some further advice.

Then is there anyway you can test your TP Link switch on somebodies else home network (such has a friend or family member) just to prove it works with another router since moving to NowTV Fibre ?

You could also maybe look at using your old BT Router as a WAP with the Hub 2 and utilise the Ethernet ports on the BT HomeHub.

If it was me and i couldn't get the existing TP Link switch working and to avoid all the faffing around i would consider picking up a new unmanaged switch from Amazon or Ebay perhaps a Netgear or Trendnet Gigabit switch.

Also, have a read of this link on the Sky Q Hub forum discussing the limitation with only 2 number Ethernet ports and what options people have done to overcome this.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/Sky-Q-Hub-Only-2-Ethernet-Ports/td-p/2422925

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks again - I think I'm going to check and see if there's no fault in the cable between the hub and the router (they're in separate rooms). Failing that, I think I'll be trying a new switch!