cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband Username And Password

Hi

I am a network engineer so know what I am talking about when it comes to routers/networks etc.

I have just signed up with you BUT I do not want to use the ADSL router you supplied as the security is abysmal and it also doesn't fit into my infrastructure at home.

So I am using my normal router that I have been using with Virgin for the last 7 years.

I know that your authentication requires a format like MAC@either nowtv/skydsl or possibly a normal username and password but I do not know how to retrieve it from the stock router.

It is easy on the Fiber routers as you can use Wireshark to sniff the details out but you cannot do that on a ADSL router

So will you NOWTV please give me the details required to use my own router.

YES I know that you cannot support my setup and I am very happy with that as my knowledge far outweighs that of the script kiddies on the phone 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm in the same boat.  Tried backing up the router fig to see if was stored in plain text which it isnt.

You cant even setup a static route to get around the problem that way.

Yep I need the creds too please.

Stan

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So a bit of time digging, thanx Now BBand, I;ve found the following:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archive/Using-own-modem-with-Fibre/td-p/2878989

The long and short of it is they don't use a UN PWD Combo, but rather the MAC of the router and some obscure DHCP option. 

You can spoof and get a work around, from from a techie perspective its shonky to say the least.

Further info here:

https://ketstech.blogspot.com/2019/02/nowtv-broadband-with-your-owncustom.html

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I know all that and the problem is that I have an ADSL connection and you can't sniff any info from that like you can from VDSL/cable. SO that link to that article doesn't do anything for me so I am now cancelling NOWTV and going back to Virgin.

Thanks for the input though 🙂